Pearson Boom Furler Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bejasus

I have a friend with a Pearson lying in Savannah and he has a problem with his boom furling mechanism. It is the type with a wire 'topping lift' attached to a rotating bolt on the end and a cast aluminum cranking end at the gooseneck that takes a square crank handle. The problem is that the round part of the mechanism, that the boom fits into, has split and the mechanism needs to be replaced. However, I have searched for this product without success. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead
pearson boom furler comment

correct me if im wrong but it sounds like your describing a geared roller reefing setup where the sail gets cranked around the boom like a roll up shade. I havent seen one of these in over 30 years. They stopped using them a long time ago. The problem here is most of the gears were aluminum and they corroded out If you were lucky enough to get a bronze one" most of these came on wooden booms" and greased it loyally it would work. The trouble was even when they worked they stretched the luff and ruined the sail shape. About 40 years ago I had one on an Alberg 30. I owned. It was an aluminum gear all corroded out. I got caught with it in a blow of casco bay maine. by the time I squirted it full of WD 40 and got ther crank to work I thought my arm was gonna have go into a sling. My Opinion Tell your friend to forget it. Go out and get a couple of cheek blocks and some line and put a slab reefer on the boom. Thats what I did

B

Bejasus

You're correct

You are absolutely correct, and I agree with you that he should forget about it. Convert the wire to a topping lift and fit a kicker to the boom, fit some cheek blocks, some jammers, cleats and a small winch, new gooseneck, reefing cringles etc. I think I will suggest that he starts looking for a new boom. Thanks a lot for the info, I was not familiar with this system at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.