Pearson 39-2 CB loose?

Foxie

Jul 11, 2018
Pearson 39-2 Beverly, MA
I just joined this forum so hello everyone, last spring I bought hull #4 a 1987 39-2 inMd and brought her up to Ma and have been very happy with the boat. The one possible problem that I have (and I’m not sure it’s a problem) is that the center board has a fair amount of play in the hinge. Sailing or motoring in a side sea and some other times we get a clunk from the board banging against one side or the other of the trunk. Besides the annoyance is this an issue? Do I need to drop the board and replace a bushing or something? Possibly repair the top of the board somehow? How urgent is this if it’s a problem, I have noticed it since the delivery so I assume it’s been an issue for a while. Thanks.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
My previous boat was a 36-2 with centerboard and we loved it. Board was in good shape with minimal play..... no clunking in the trunk. However had a friend who had a 39-2 and did have issues with his. He ended up digging the board pin out , removing in then added fabricated washers to the inside to take up the slack.... improved greatly and not too big of a job for him to tackle on his own. If you can get the yard to hang your boat high enough to get under there and look up where the pin is you will see.... great boats!

Good luck!

Greg

Foxie

Jul 11, 2018
Pearson 39-2 Beverly, MA
Thanks Greg, I know where the pin is I’ll check it out in the fall.

We are enjoying her, currently onboard for week 1 of two south of Cape Cod.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Thanks Greg, I know where the pin is I’ll check it out in the fall.

We are enjoying her, currently onboard for week 1 of two south of Cape Cod.
I was just finishing up my block island 2.5 weeks..... how was the fog?? I’m sure the boat performed wonderfully!

Foxie

Jul 11, 2018
Pearson 39-2 Beverly, MA
We had a great trip, only saw fog 2 travel days, wasn’t too thick crossing Buzzards Bay early in the trip and was super thick leaving the canal on our last day.

Only problem was a leaking hot water tank fitting which I couldn’t completely fix but managed to slow down significantly so we were able to make due.

We ran into the original owners of our boat on the water barge in Edgartown, talk about a small world. He mentioned his previous boat was a P39-2 which he had sold to friends in Md, I remembered the previous owner telling me he had bought it from friends in Ny and told him he was looking at his old boat!

Aug 4, 2018
Pearson Yachts 39-II Punta Gorda, FL
I've sailed my 1987 Pearson 39-2 , Hull #21, for over 25 years - never experienced the centerboard issue you describe. I've only ever replaced the pennant - twice, I think

Foxie

Jul 11, 2018
Pearson 39-2 Beverly, MA
Good to know, thanks. Just yesterday I listened to it clunk around as we rolled over some powerboat waves.

Aug 4, 2018
Foxy, as we surveyed my 39-2 for purchase in 1992 in Gulfport, MS we turned up serious corrosion to the keel attachment. Many of the 1"-8 stainless nuts and the threads of the bolts/studs cast into the lead keel were crumbled to dust. Root cause: bad owner-installed electrical problems crossing the shore power AC system into the DC/engine/bonding systems. Upon haul-out the surveyor speculated the keel, though not clunking around, may have at that point been attached by the marine adhesive/sealant bond with the keel stub more than by its bolts. I'm not sure how you've validated your hypothesis that it's the just centerboard moving when you roll and I hope you are right, but I humbly recommend you:
a. Schedule at least a short-haulout really soon at a good boatyard for such repairs. Hopefully only replacing centerboard parts but maybe more.
b. Get your hands & eyes on the keel bolts/nuts that you can easily access in the engine comp't and the various cabin sole access panels. Are your bilges staying dry as mine are?
c. Choose your weather for passage making extra conservatively and do not drop the centerboard until you can haul out and inspect. She'll sail to windward pretty well board up.

Foxie

Jul 11, 2018
Pearson 39-2 Beverly, MA
Thanks for the reply. I have visually checked the keel bolts and my surveyor did as well last year when I bought her. The center board is loose to the touch, when I hauled out last fall I lowered the board and was able to move it easily both twisting and side to side. I assumed this was a problem but had someone I respect tell me it was supposed to move a bit. Decided to do more research on the subject and work on it this winter if I found it to be a problem.

I’ll certainly have someone check the keel bolts again but I don’t think that’s an issue. Yes my bilge stays mostly dry, only need to pump it after a good rain.

inprin

Sep 9, 2014
Pearson 39-2 New Bern
Having replaced my board cable and just hauled for a bottom job I can tell you that the board on my 39-2 has a little side to side as is to be expected but definitely no twisting. Sounds like an enlarged hole on the pivot pin. I get water in my bilge from the mast only. Another reason to not have in-mast furling.

cromer

Jul 22, 2009
Pearson 39-2 Clinton River
I have a 1989 39-2 hull 42. I occasionally also here a clunk of the center board while it’s all the way up. Also while it’s down there is a slight hum to it. Last year I had the boat yard replace the penet and inspect the centerboard. They said that was normal. Hope they were right.

Foxie

Jul 11, 2018
Pearson 39-2 Beverly, MA
I’m hauling the boat today and will be dropping the board in the next few days. I’ll post what I find and maybe some pictures as well.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
My bronze board clunks when lowered under power or well off the wind, and at anchor. It's not working if it's clunking so it's raised.

When it is providing lift (sailing to windward), it stays quiet as the lifting force pins it tight, in the slot(you know because it's difficult to raise at that time).

Be careful making it too tight, especially if the board isn't heavy. I've seen a few boats hauled where the overly tight board had to be manually lowered because a little growth had lodged it tight in the slot.

Foxie

Jul 11, 2018
Pearson 39-2 Beverly, MA
Thanks for that. Mine clunks around even going to windward in the right sea state. It’s so bad I’m afraid it’s going to fall out at this point. I’ll be careful putting it back.

I expect to find an egged out hole in the top of the board and plan to rebuild the area and drill a new hole. Was thinking about delryn washers or something to take up space but I’ll keep you advise in mind. Thanks

Aug 4, 2018
Thanks for that. Mine clunks around even going to windward in the right sea state. It’s so bad I’m afraid it’s going to fall out at this point. I’ll be careful putting it back.

I expect to find an egged out hole in the top of the board and plan to rebuild the area and drill a new hole. Was thinking about delryn washers or something to take up space but I’ll keep you advise in mind. Thanks
I love Delrin (polyacetal) as a bearing material - pretty firm and low friction - but not in a marine-fouling environment. It's a plastic, after all. For centerboard bearing sleeve and spacers see if you can use bronze for its superior wear resistance, creep resistance, as well as low coeff. of friction and corrosion.

Oct 4, 2013
Pearson 39-2 Baltimore
Foxie-I own hull#5 (2nd owner). I replaced the pendant last year after it broke but the board never clunks-not even during spirited bashing into waves in the GS during this past years Bermuda Ocean Race. It should not clunk and one of the owners who used to be on this forum had the same problem on his way back from Bermuda many years ago and (after several hours of clunking) it fell out, hung from the pendant for awhile which eventually broke and he had quite a time refabricating a new CB. Its not dangerous if it falls out but just a real pain in the neck to replace. If its clunking, its loose-just as you suspected.
Although NYsail's friend may have said its an easy job, I imagine it may not be so-especially locating and drilling/driving out the pin though all the fiberglass and lead-let us know how it goes. I'm selling my 39-2 for some new fast plastic, but will miss the Pearson's solid feel-you have a strong boat-just make sure to repot the deck fittings if it has not been done. Pearson did a horrible job using cheap deck gaskets on these boats.