Pearson 36-2 center board maintenance

Dec 11, 2017
Kells Coaster Bar Harbor
Knowing that Pearson made at least 135 36-2's (own #135) I can't be the first and only one to have issues with the cb being incredibly difficult to raise. My primary suspect is at minimum the lower shiv, which after almost 40 years of salt water exposure, I imagine is corroded beyond use and will need replacement. As all four of the shivs in the system are sealed units, repair is probably not an option, but I will probably cut one open to accurately assess it's condition. Regardless of what I find, replacement is probably the best course of action. Has anyone found a replacement for these sealed shivs or some other work around? My second suspect is the center board pin and bushings. Currently in the process of dropping the board out completely to assess and service/replace the pin and bushings. Does anyone have a schematic of the CB system that could prove useful? Any insight from your own experience will be appreciated, and thank you.

Attachments

Harald

Mar 4, 2022
Pearson 36-2 Wiarton, Ontario
Hi, I had one of the shivs rebuild by an machine shop but still had problems raising the cb. I dropped the board and removes the pin and it will be rebuild the winter. I have a great video on how to take the pin out

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
My last boat was a 36-2 with centerboard. One of the first things I did was to fully take apart the centerboard cable run.
I replaced all of the unions and also found the ss housing mounted in the bilge was seized ( the sheave was seized from apparent lack of use). Had a new one replicated ….. I soaked all the others in vinegar and dumped out years of growth and they all worked fine. Then -soaked them in oil. when I put everything back together, I could easily crank the board up.
You might still be able to find pictures and a lot of discussion in the archives here…… back around 2007 and forward a few years.

Greg
Former 36-2 owner
s/b Four the Soul #101