Pearson 33-2 engine removal

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello SBO Members who offer great information on a boatload of topics,

We are considering a Pearson 33-2 that is definitely a "project vessel". As you can read in my posts over the years we have usually purchased sailboats in need of serious work, but we are now old enough and , hopefully, wise enough to ask others for comments before we cast off from the dock!

(1) Has anyone removed the engine from a Pearson 33-2? We are thinking about an engine overhaul or perhaps a replacement. Can you offer some guidance and recommendations on the entire project? We are initially wondering whether the entryway steps can be removed for more access to remove the engine.

(2) Has anyone had experience with Beta Marine engines? The current Yanmar is the 2GM20F. Do you have any experience with that engine in the Pearson 33-2? We have owned two other sailboats with that engine, but they were both lighter and smaller vessels. Is choosing a slightly larger Beta Marine engine like a 25 hp or 30 hp worth considering?

If you prefer to use the PM option for these responses I will carefully read what you send me. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,
31 seahorse (aka Phil)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Beta engines have a great reputation. They are basically a Kubota tractor engine and parts can be had from any Kubota dealer. Also they are well thought out with regards to placement of the parts that need servicing.

What prompts you to think the Yanmar needs rebuilding or replacing?

As for hp more is not necessarily better. Increasing HP can mean operating the engine more at less desirable (slower) speeds. Diesels like to be run at about 80% of WOT. I seem to recall an article on Steve D'Antonio's site about this.

Steve D'Antonio Marine Consulting | Your advocate for a safer, more reliable and less costly boating experience

Here's an article by Steve on running diesels at low speed.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
If you replace the engine, you will probably find it easier if you stick with Yanmar. The 2GM is a good engine that would be pretty straight forward to rebuild.

Aug 2, 2005
Thanks for those two quick responses.

We have considered the operating temp/engine speed as a concern and wanted other folks experience too. I should have mentioned in my initial post that I did use the Search operation on our fantastically useful SBO site with great success.

dlochner: I do question of the need for a rebuild and the difficulty of removal if necessary. The boat in question is about 1500 miles away, and I wanted some other people's ideas prior to the trip.

dmax: I know enough about diesel engines to be a danger to myself and my wallet! I would consult a diesel mechanic or two who work near to the boat's location.

Best regards to you both.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
If it helps, I can pass along my blog link at the Ericson site where I show some photos of our conversion from a Universal to a new Betamarine diesel. Let me know. Note that you will need a no-cost registration for a log-in on the site to access the blog section.
The Betamarine is a great power plant, BTW.
We have the 25 hp, and it might be a good choice for the boat you are considering.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
How much moisture in the decks, that repair will make the cost of an engine replacement look minor.

Aug 2, 2005
Thanks, Fast Olson & Sailfanatic,

Please send me the link to your blog, FastOlson. Use the PM if you choose. I'll be glad to learn from your experience.

Sailfanatic: We are currently recoring the decks of a Cape Dory Typhoon. We have done small sections of other boats we owned. Tough job for sure and scary too, but it remains to be seen whether that is necessary.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
That yanmar doesn't sound particularly undersized for that boat.

I agree with checking for moisture.

The betas are great engines and well thought out for servicing on boats.

Good luck!

dj

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My O’Day 322 specs out about 750 pounds lighter than the Pearson 33-2. I have a Yanmar 2GM20 and find it has plenty of power for me, but I sail on lake Michigan and I don’t have to contend with any currents...

I run a standard 2-blade fixed prop, and could probably get some better performance out of a 3-blade or a feathering prop...but I don’t really feel the need to change.

Greg

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Do you know how many hours on the engine? A boat like a Pearson 33 is likely to have under 1000 hours. No reason to junk it. Probably doesn't even need a major rebuild unless it's burning an unhealthy amount of oil. Instead, replace all hoses, send the heat exchanger out to be cleaned, send the injectors out for testing, replace any ratty wiring, give it a good paint job. I'd frankly pay more attention to other parts of the drive train - how's the fuel tank? cutlass bearing? strut? stuffing box? battery cables - all may need attention

Mar 13, 2013
Ericson 32-III Rock Hall Md.
A friend of mine traveled all over the Chesapeake bay in a Pearson 33-2 with the Yanmar 2gm20. He rnever thought it was under powered.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
According to Sailboat Data, the basic displacement is 11K. While a modern 20hp engine might be adequate (apply your definition to that word), We like our choice of a new 25 hp Beta when we replaced our old Universal 23 hp. Note that going forward most owners want, sooner or later, larger alternators and those will siphon off several extra hp.
Our particular hull is very easily driven, and we could have gotten by with a new Betamarine20, but found that the new 25 was slightly smaller and lighter than the old engine and was a great fit. Final determining factor would be cost, and there is little difference. Matter of fact, whether looking a Yanmar or Betamarine, you might as well just write down "10K" on your rough estimate sheet... !
Note that you are replacing the auxiliary drive train for a fairly large sailing boat and in comparison the replacement of the wind-powered "drive train" would cost more than 10K for a good quality main, headsail, and flying sail. And do not forget new standing and running rigging every 20 years.

There are all long term investments, to be amortized out in use and (hopeful) trouble-free sailing and cruising. Your new engine should outlast a new sail inventory, with ease.

Not a simple decision, for whatever boat you choose. The cost-benefit ratio for any major restoration is something to ponder a bit....
OTOH, before the pandemic, folks though little of spending multiple thousands of $ for a two week cruise (along with big-$ air fare), and after returning home had no further enjoyment from it tother than a large batch of digital pix. :)
Your money and time and your joys ....Your choice.... :cool:

Aug 2, 2005
CarlN, grandpasteve, and FastOlson,

Thanks for your time to comment with specifics and anecdotal information. I will surely consider your words and the thoughts of the other members who have commented. It is not decision time just yet for us.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I would have to advocate for more HP as well. We have a 3GM30F in our Catalina 320 and I would say it is about right, if not quite enough. I suspect the Pearson would be slightly heavier and 2GM20 would be too small for my taste. I'm not sure what would be the reason for running a larger engine at lower RPM. In contrast to sailing (where I don't mind cruising slowly), when I'm running the engine, I hate to dawdle. Put the throttle down and move at hull speed and nothing less as far as I'm concerned. Some people like to run lightly to reduce noise, I suppose. If you do that what would be the difference between running a 2gm20 at 2500 and a 3gm30 at 2500 other than more speed? When I'm covering ground, I generally run just over 3000, but I'm not quite achieving hull speed. The prop might be a factor in my case. I'm more in line with @FastOlson thinking. Especially if the footprint of a larger, new engine is more compact or about the same.

Aug 2, 2005
A friend of mine traveled all over the Chesapeake bay in a Pearson 33-2 with the Yanmar 2gm20.
We spent many hours in the upper Chesapeake Bay including the Northeast, Elk, Susquehanna, and Bohemia rivers. Motoring against an outgoing tide was always a challenge in our Catalina 27 that was powered by an aging 9.9 OB. One time we were nearly convinced we would never pass one of those pesky crab trap markers!

Scott T-Bird: Not decision time just yet. We do need to consider prop as well as engine as you mention. I do think we are more on the cruising speed side of engine operation. By that I would be thinking of half throttle or a bit more. I believe we ran our diesel engines in the 1800 to 2000 rpm range while motoring. Thanks for your time to answer..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Motoring against an outgoing tide was always a challenge in our Catalina 27 that was powered by an aging 9.9 OB
I remember a time when I was flying a Cessna 150. I looked down at the ground and I was moving backwards.

Power is helpful but so is the vehicle. Some times you just have to turn around and seek a place to wait until the currents change or if you want to better the conditions choose a vehicle that lets you do what you want.

I’m reminded it is the journey not necessarily getting to the destination quickly in a sail boat.

Regarding power choices, selection is about fit and effective function. You can stick a 500 HP engine in a 33 ft boat but it will take up most of the boat an likely won’t respond very well at full power. Put the whole system together. Engine, power train, prop and boat hull make up the system. Beta makes a good engine. Choose a size that fits your boat/budget and matches the rest of your system powering your boat hull efficiently.

Aug 2, 2005
Thanks for your thoughts, jssailem, I do remember doing some photography in a small airplane whose pilot made the aircraft do a maneuver he called "hang on the prop" We seemed to just park in the air over our photographic target. However, I did not know that reverse was an option!

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It was an outcome not an intent. Winds aloft a 3000 ft exceed forward air speed.

I did similar in a boat. Forward full power was 6.27 knots. We tried to power into a passage that a peak speed of 7.5 knots. We got to a certain point in the passage and no further. When the boat owner agreed we were not progressing, I tired the boat around and we exited the passage the way we had entered at close to 13 knots. Felt like flying.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
My son had a H306 with the 2gm20 and it could do no better than 6+ a little bit. Years ago I had a 35' Columbia with a 20hp Yanmar and 5.8 was max. Years ago I had a Freeport 41 that I purchased with a siezed engine. I repowered with a new Isuzu but if I had it do over again I would have the siezed engine rebuilt and kept the controls, instrumentation and mounts the same and saved much hassle. If more speed or power to punch through a chop is required consider this rule of thumb. In order for a displacement hull to achieve hull speed, given the proper propeller, 4-5 hp per ton displacement is required. My daughter had a Catalina 30 with the 11 hp universal and it topped out at almost 5.1. We put much thought into repowering and the Beta 20 or 25 or Universal M320B looked like the ticket. Now, in our research, should you repower and have a yard do, it a realistic approach is to double the price of the engine and that will be the approximate cost to repower. A Beta 25 will be around 10k and the yard will charge about 10k to install. The install includes the wire harness, instrumentation, new motor mounts, hoses, exhaust hose, water lift muffler, perhaps cabin mods, and throttle and tranny controls and odds and ends. Now you might also need a new cutless bearing, prop shaft and if increasing the HP a new prop. Those are additional expenses. If you plan to keep the boat for a long time go for it. If you can find a good used engine that was a runner when removed from another boat and you can do the work yourself then that is also a viable option. I know Beta will provided tech support if you plan to install one of their engines yourself.

Aug 2, 2005
Hello SBO Members,
Thanks to all of you who responded to my post. All good information to consider. Now, here is the kicker......

Someone put a deposit on the boat! I was a bit surprised and disappointed, but my wife said, "It wasn't meant to be." We will just need to keep looking for that correct fit for us.

Respectfully, 31 seahorse