PEARSON 31-2 Mainsheet, help!

Oct 29, 2016
Pearson 31-2 Bras D'or
Hoping one of those most gracious of owners of Pearson 31-2 could send me a couple of pics of their mainsheet set up. Received my newly acquired 89 which was rigged by the vendor and I have a feeling something was missed. This boat does not have a boom vang presently which I am uncertain about, the present main sheet set up seems to negate the need ???

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sometimes this can be figured out. Do you have pictures of what you got?

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
daddio, i goggled pearson 31-2 sailboat. there are more than 200 photos from all angles. i think you can figure it out from there. :)

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Do you have some pictures of your current set-up???

Oct 29, 2016
Pearson 31-2 Bras D'or
No pictures handy, I suspect the sheet is being run through the block for the reefing lines and back to the cockpit through a deck sheave organizer. The single pulley just aft of the mast in not being used.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When I looked at a few images I saw 3 blocks on the boom about the middle. These would spread the stress over about 3 feet of the boom. The purpose of images of your boat is to try to guess what rigging may have been there and what is there. Two ways of running the mainsheet rigging. Mid boom or end boom. How you expect to use your boat are used affects the rigging needs. Pictures help.

I have an end boom rig. When I got the boat it had a 2-1 block system. After I sailed it I thought it was too light for the conditions I expected to see. So I rigged a 6-1 block system. Now it is easy to manage the sail in all sorts of conditions. Now that the rigging is working I am thinking of reducing the size of the sheet. This will make the rigging lighter. That way in light air the weight of the sheet does not affect as much the sail trim.

We each have the same basics. It is up to us sailors to dress it up.

Oct 29, 2016
Pearson 31-2 Bras D'or
I am a total cruiser, and yes I have the three blocks on the boom, there are four spots to hang a block from and the mainsheet occupy the aft three spots, from there the sheet goes to the base of the mast, right now to a double block which I think it meant for the reefing lines and it is attached to a piece of stainless hinged at the mast about four inches long. There is not boom vang. The single pulley with a spring pivot base just 10 inches aft of the mast is not being used.