Pearson 30

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Also, having to deal with gallons of melt water was not pleasurable, either.
As far as the melt water goes, I mounted a Shurflow electric pump that I attached to the ice box drain hose. I have it connected to a spout that drains into the sink. No more ice box water in the bilge! As I recall it was something like a $25 mod and a few plumbing bits.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My first boat (1996 Hunter 280) had an icebox, but no refrigeration. Worked Ok, but bringing ice to the boat was a pain in the arse. And that was generally just for day sails.

My current boat (1988 O’Day 322) has refrigeration, and I often say is it one of the best upgrades in the new boat. Yes, it takes battery capacity to run it when off shore power, but having cold beverages, being able to leave refrigerated food and condiments on the boat….priceless.

I don’t have any solar panels, so on a recent 2-night, 3-day sail, I was worried about my 215 AH battery bank. I froze a gallon jug of water and threw it in the icebox, and turned off the fridge…worked great over the weekend, kept things cold and didn’t drain my battery bank. A win-win!

I wouldn’t want a boat without refrigeration.

Greg