Pearson 30

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
hey everyone, I know I would rather have a blue water boat but until I get enough money to find my dream boat, I would still like to upgrade my Grampian 26 to something a bit bigger, I found a Pearson 30 that seems to be in good shape at a good price, but I would like to hear what people who have sailed on one think about it.
thank you in advance

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I've always liked the Pearson 30's. They do tend to have the Atomic 4 gasoline engine that I don't care for, well, that engine is fine, I just don't like gasoline on my sailboat. But that's just personal preference. The Pearson 30's I've sailed on seemed to sail quite well. They are a bit narrow on the interior compared to some other boats of that same vintage, but overall, nice boat.

dj

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi,

i have some time on the p30. Sweet sailing boat. Nice feel from the tiller. Well balanced. Small inside (compared to many other 30’ boats)

barry

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The Pearson made boats are great sailboats. Granted they are from an earlier design standard. Narrow boat beam 9.5ft. Why the seem small compared to more modern designs.
with a capsize rating of 1.88 they are an ocean going boat. Still they are considered coastal cruisers.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
hey everyone, I know I would rather have a blue water boat but until I get enough money to find my dream boat, I would still like to upgrade my Grampian 26 to something a bit bigger, I found a Pearson 30 that seems to be in good shape at a good price, but I would like to hear what people who have sailed on one think about it.
thank you in advance
We owned one for about 3 years and cruised from Nantucket to Shelter Island. Great sailing boat and very comfortable for 2 people.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Practical Sailor has a good write-up about the Pearson 30. Friends had one and enjoyed it a lot. Quite the capable cruiser, though it seems only half as wide as a Catalina. Sails beautifully and is quite quick in light air. They seem to hold up well and are not too complicated to fix if need be.

• Helpful
Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The Pearson 30 design is good for blue water cruising. Certainly, equipment and mods would be needed to make it ready. I would go see the boat for sale. If you like the looks and interior and a survey is OK, this would be a good boat to start with. And may well carry you to your blue water dreams.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Just make sure it's a Pearson 30, not a Pearson Flyer which is also 30'. The Flyer is a great boat for racing but not at all a cruiser. I raced on a Flyer for a few years on Lake Ontario, lots of fun but a handful in a breeze.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Make sure that IF this one of the Pearson's with rubber gasket under each stanchion base, that someone has re-bedded all of them properly. Coring was probably replaced in the process. (It was a production decision with very unpleasant consequences. )
Where possible, like maybe aft under the side deck, make sure that the hull/deck joint is solid. Helps a lot to find places where you can view the hull at the top.
As stated, good design with a decent rep for sailing. Just be sure you tap and meter the decks.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
We used to have a very nicely maintained one at the club and no one could beat it around the buoys.

Jan 23, 2021
beneteau 323 Corpus Christi marina
Don’t worry about atomic 4, or gas. Had old (1964) 28’ Triton Pearson with gas Atomic 4 for many years.
Very reliable workhorse!

(Yes, a gas engine can ignite. You can get hit by lightning or have fatal car wreck driving anywhere…)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
(Yes, a gas engine can ignite. You can get hit by lightning or have fatal car wreck driving anywhere…)
@fullbore Just a FYI - my personal preference in this has nothing to do with what you imply above. I personally don't like the sound of gasoline engines, don't like the power curve of gasoline engines, and really dislike the smell of gasoline engines.

I love the sound of diesel engines, love the power curve of diesel engines, and find the smell quite tolerable.

dj

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
don't like the sound of gasoline engines,
The A4 runs pretty smooth and is quieter than a comparable diesel. It doesn't have the same sound and feel of trying to shake itself to bits like a small diesel.
The smell I could do without.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
The A4 runs pretty smooth and is quieter than a comparable diesel. It doesn't have the same sound and feel of trying to shake itself to bits like a small diesel.
The smell I could do without.
You'll have to come sail with me on my boat. You can sit in the saloon and have a normal conversation under full diesel power. The engine is under the saloon floor so that's as close as you get to the engine in this boat.

dj

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
@dLj do you have insulation in the saloon floor? My diesel is under the floor as well but makes itself well known at cruising RPMs. I've been thinking about adding some soundproofing on the underside of the floors.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
@dLj do you have insulation in the saloon floor? My diesel is under the floor as well but makes itself well known at cruising RPMs. I've been thinking about adding some soundproofing on the underside of the floors.
Yes, there is insulation on the floor panels. It's likely fairly decent sound proofing, but I don't think particularly specific to sound proofing. As I understand it, good sound proofing involves lead sheets...

dj

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Regarding diesel engine noise and vibration...
On any used sailboat over 15 or 20 years old, be sure that the engine mounts have been replaced within the last decade, and that the drive train has been properly aligned.
There are thousands of older sailboats out there where no (zero) preventative maintenance has ever been done on this stuff. A succession of owners will have adopted the approach of "out of sight, out of mind".
Also, if the original builder installed foil-face acoustic foam around the engine, it's likely all fallen down or disintegrated from oil vapors and heat.
Most of those old engines will run forever, or until replacement parts become too scarce, but they DO need maintenance of everything around and under them....

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
The Pearson made boats are great sailboats. Granted they are from an earlier design standard. Narrow boat beam 9.5ft. Why the seem small compared to more modern designs.
with a capsize rating of 1.88 they are an ocean going boat. Still they are considered coastal cruisers.
The 1970s Pearson….. however Bill Shaw changed that and made a sweet beamy boat in 1980s. I had a 1986 P36-2 that had a 12 foot beam. Felt like a dance floor below compared with my Cal 34 III that I bought from my uncle…..

I’ve sailed / raced on a Pearson 10m which is approximately 33 feet. Fast sturdy boat but yes a atomic 4 gas engine.
Good luck

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
hello everybody, just went to see the boat today, it's in good condition for a 1972, the cushions need to be redone, good thing I do that as a sideline, still debating on it, the guy showed me the last survey just need to wait for a nice day to check the decks.
I wish lines would be led aft, but it might be a project for the future, last time I sailed on a boat where halyards were at the mast was during my sailing class lol.
what can you all tell me about pressurized alcool stoves, I know most people try to avoid them but it's built in the galley, so replacing would be a challenge.
funny thing, well funny to me, the boat has both interior and exterior speakers, but no radio, I'm not sure but a speaker near the compass might not be the best placement lol.