Pearson 28 scuppers flood cockpit with slight heel.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I sailed with a friend last weekend. We were a little over powered and the scuppers flooded the cockpit with about 4" of water. it was really annoying. is it possible to install some check valves that won't impede the draining of the cocpit? if so what kind have you used? Where should they be installed. Inline, at the drain or at the through hull?
As always thanks for you advice.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I've never heard that, but it makes sense. My 1983 Catalina 30 did not have crossed hoses. And when they rotted out, the bilge filled with water, and froze on the hard.....I got to it just in time so there was no damage.

dj

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
Crossing them is definitely the best way to resolve this. If for some reason it’s not possible perko makes a scupper with a rubber check valve, but you have to inspect it regularly to ensure it doesn’t get clogged up.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
you have to inspect it regularly to ensure it doesn’t get clogged up.
Can someone explain how a being in a Marina that has no leaf dropping trees and out in the water well away from shore, I get leafs falling into the cockpit and fouling the scupper drain? I can understand the occasional bird feather or dust bunny ball of something. But a leaf.

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
The entire drain industry (including rain gutters) make their products attract any type of leaf. I read about the deep leaf conspiracy on Facebook and Reddit so I know it’s true.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
The conspiracy must also include spiders . We are on a mooring several blocks from shore . Every summer we have dozens if not hundreds of spiders in our mainsail. We have it covered when ever we aren't sailing. There is nothing inside the flaked sail for the m to eat !

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Can someone explain how a being in a Marina that has no leaf dropping trees and out in the water well away from shore, I get leafs falling into the cockpit and fouling the scupper drain? I can understand the occasional bird feather or dust bunny ball of something. But a leaf.
There is a special cosmic attraction that scuppers on sail boats and leaves have. At least that's the only explanation I've ever seen that makes sense. ;)

dj

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I believe I read of a test where they placed a common house gutter in the middle of the Bonneville Salt Flats and it was filled with leaves in a week--and probably overflowing with water too. I'm pretty sure that a scupper could pull it off as well ;)

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
lol the spider question is simple- they fly. Really- by exuding strands of web and floating on the breeze. My boat sometimes looks like it's got gossamer strands streaming form the shrouds.

Oh and Hi Timm :)

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Thanks Maine Sail I'll let him know.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Ahhh....Wind?:cool: