Pearson 28-1 stanchion rebedding

marvy1

May 5, 2018
Pearson 28-1 New Rochelle
Hi - now that I have her out of the water, I have noticed that the stanchion over the galley on the starboard side is leaking enough to be annoying. Two main questions:

1) Has anyone successfully removed that stanchion? It is in a really tight spot from the main cabin side, and I can’t get to it from the cockpit side, so I am looking for a good approach.

2) Now that the temperature has dropped, if there is a soft core issue, I wouldn’t be able to epoxy it with any success until it warms up. Would taping over the holes do in a pinch? I have her wrapped for winter, but the little water that comes through the cover is leaking in this area, so I feel like taking out the old stanchion would at least allow me to stop the leaking inside and any further core intrusion, if it is going there.

Thanks for any help.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Marv
I would be inclined to remove the stanchion for winter. Tape over the holes and run a dehydrator inside the cabin to try and draw out as much moisture as will occur over the winter... Then come Spring and warmer weather do the real inspection and repairs as needed.

marvy1

May 5, 2018
Pearson 28-1 New Rochelle
Marv
I would be inclined to remove the stanchion for winter. Tape over the holes and run a dehydrator inside the cabin to try and draw out as much moisture as will occur over the winter... Then come Spring and warmer weather do the real inspection and repairs as needed.
Thank you! It is a tough one to reach, but I am going to figure out a way somehow.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Let us know how it goes.
It is likely a two person task to remove it.