Pearson 26 rusted keel bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 23, 2009
Pearson 26 Columbia
I just purchased a 1976 Pearson 26 and noticed that the nuts and bolts that hold the keel in place are rusted badly. several are so rusted that there isn't much of the nut left (it crumbled beneath my fingers when I examined it). I'm also noticing that the bolt itself is rusted. There's no evidence of leaking - the boat has been docked for years and is still in the water. Does anyone know of a method of securing the keel from the inside while in the water? I appreciate any advice - my concern is mainly for safety - with a couple of kids on board I wouldn't want the keel to come off while under sail!
Thanks -

shorty

Apr 14, 2005
Pearson P34 Mt Desert, ME
IMHO

you need to haul & drop the keel. If the bolts look OK, you could replace the nuts after cleaning the bolt threads but you will not know what evil lurks unseen, which is the evil you want to know about. Even if the kids are not on board, their Dad is.

Aug 21, 2009
Pearson P-30 Kingston
I would have to go along with shorty thoughs, you would need to pull the boat and repair. On my p-26 the keel bolts are puddy over ( the head of bolt ) 8 bolts. If you look at my pictures you may see the same problem that you are having. I've have found new stainless bolts and nuts for replament. Also my keel bolt are part of the ground/ electrical plane for the boat. If you need any information on parts drop me a line.
shady lady

Oct 23, 2009
Pearson 26 Columbia
Thanks for the advice! Quick question.. would it be possible to simply put the boat on a trailer and replace each bolt one at a time rather than dropping the entire keel?? Just curious if anyone has ever tried that successfully. Thanks!!!

Aug 21, 2009
Pearson P-30 Kingston
That what i'm doing to Shady Lady, If there any sign of joint movement at keel/ boat bottom you can deal with that problem, What i have seen cracking along seal that i think is from two differnt material heat up and cooling and rusting of the keel. I think that you would needed a fexible joint sealant were the boat and fiberglass meet

Status
Not open for further replies.