Peace reigns on a small island far out in Penobscot Bay.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
If you only visit North Haven Island once, you’ll likely recall the islands iconic 60-70’s era Peace sign on a barn door in town, shortly after stepping off the ferry boat or the dinghy dock.

North Haven 7-20-14 Peace Reigns.jpg

It’s an unexpected artwork on a first visit. Yet in short time, it does seem to fit the village vibe.

North Haven 10-31 2009 Main Street.jpg

Of the 350 or so year round residents, many are on a community FB page which serves as an internet bulletin board to post the special needs that go with living on a small island out at sea

I read an interesting exchange of the history of this iconic Peace sign on main street. The symbol first materialized as graffiti, in the late 70’s on the barn along main street. Locals have ideas who the original ‘artist’ - now long gone - was, but they stay pretty mum.

The symbol has been painted over, many times. Yet, it has mysteriously re-appeared just as many times, over the last 5 decades.

I found a shot I took over 10 years ago and sure enough, the peace sign was gone.

North Haven 2006.jpg

North Haven Island year round inhabitants have a cross section similar to most other coastal towns around the bay. They deal with the same problems, local and global, and disagree on many issues.

Living on an island little more than 5 miles long and 8 miles out at sea, they have more work to do in some of the services (transportation, medical, food), that we take for granted.

They must have to get along fairly well, I would think.

Summers, just like on the coast, are a different animal out here. Population swells 5(?) fold with summer visitors.

The barn and adjacent new building are now a community center. The Peace symbol was painted over again when the community center opened. Apparently the symbol was not a part of the founders vision.

Street dance peace sign.jpg

But it magically reappeared - again. Then was painted over, again, and it reappeared,.... again,...and again.

Today, the community center wears the peace sign proudly. I have to hand it the perseverance of some of the unknown islanders. The community center, and the town, apparently realize today, the Peace sign is an icon of the town.

Not a bad icon for a small town on an island out at sea.

I was glad to see this photo posted New Years Eve 2019. Peace may not always reign on the island, but I think the enduring symbol out there is here to stay.

New Years Eve 2019 Northhaven Island.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Nice post Tom. Those who live as the North Haven islanders do, have a unique relationship with each other. At times, I find myself envious of such a life and such a place.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Nice post Tom. Those who live as the North Haven islanders do, have a unique relationship with each other. At times, I find myself envious of such a life and such a place.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Thanks, Will. Growing up living on a boat as you did, I'm sure you've been on at least as many small islands as I have.

I have a life long fascination with islands and their unique culture, especially those I've sailed to.

But I've never found one, yet, that I think I would be comfortable living on, full time. This one comes close but winter residents live to the state run ferry and what it brings.

I gaze out at this island nearly every day in the winter, out in a cold and gray sea, and my imagination puts me on it. I can't shake the feeling of isolation 'out there'. It takes a special sort to grow up on - with an island, and be content I think. I'm remote enough right here. :)

But I love to visit! There is a micro brewery on the island these days. This is my favorite:

Bitter Mainer.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've never found one, yet, that I think I would be comfortable living on, full time. This one comes close ... and my imagination puts me on it. ... It takes a special sort to grow up on - with an island, and be content
I know exactly what you are talking about. However, for me, it's the sailing. It is hard enough to be a sailor in the mountains, and then to buy a sailboat to sit in my yard with no time to work on it. Living on an island would just be a place to own a house, for me. No way could I have the patience to live that close to the open ocean and not sail away.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
No way could I have the patience to live that close to the open ocean and not sail away.
There are beautiful waterfront homes where I moor my boat. When we’re hanging out on our mooring I look at those houses, which are worth many millions, and think “I have the same view they do, and can change mine any time I want”.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Years ago we stayed at Brown’s and walked that street looking for the hot showers. We had no idea what to expect and eventually found the correct building. The peace sign must have been closer to the ferry landing.