PCOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Going to Canada?

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_operatorfaq-2233.htm#y

The word gets around fast at the dock last night.........

"If you were born before April 1, 1983 and operate a pleasure craft, fitted with a motor, that is 4 m and over in length, you will require proof of operator competency by September 15, 2009."

I lucked out last month no $240 fine Canadian dollars, US gets a discount.

paulj :troll:

Jul 16, 2006
-Catalina C310 RNSYS
Canadian PCOC - application to visiting yachts

Hello Paulj:

It is my understanding that the Canadian PCOC Regulations do not apply to non-residents in most cases. I suppose if you had a vacation property in Canada or were planning an extended cruise in Canadian waters it could apply.

You will have to have proof of residency onboard. In Canada - your drivers license would suffice I think.

I do not believe there is a discount for US$ anymore; Canadian dollar is at par and yesterday it went over par!

Regards,

Chris

Do the Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations apply to non-residents?
The Regulations apply to non-residents if:
  • They operate their pleasure craft in Canadian waters for more than 44 consecutive days or,
  • They operate a pleasure craft that is licensed or registered in Canada (including rented or chartered boats).
The Regulations do not apply to non-residents who operate their pleasure craft (licensed in a country other than Canada) in Canadian waters for less than 45 consecutive days. Please note that a proof of residence will be required on board at all times.
If you require more information on how Canadian requirements apply to non-residents visit the Requirements for Foreign Recreational Boaters In Canadian Waters ( http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_operatorfaq-2233.htm#h )
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/0
What is acceptable proof of competency for non-residents?
For non-residents, proof of competency can take one of three forms:
  1. A Pleasure Craft Operator Card;
  2. A completed boat rental safety checklist (for power-driven rental boats); or,
  3. An operator card or equivalent which meets the requirements of their state or country.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Since my state or country requirements are nothing, that seems to prove my "Competency" ?
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-quick-quick_visitor-1610.htm#a
The Regulations apply to non-residents:
  • If they operate their pleasure craft in Canadian waters for more than 45 consecutive days or,
  • If they operate a pleasure craft that is licensed or registered in Canada (including rented or chartered boats).
  • The Regulations do not apply to non-residents who operate their pleasure craft in Canadian waters for less than 45 consecutive days. Please note that a proof of residence will be required on board at all times.
Acceptable Proof of Competency for Non-Residents
For non-residents, proof of competency can take one of three forms:
  • A Canadian-issued pleasure craft operator card.
  • A completed boat rental safety check-list (for power-driven rental boats).
  • An operator card or equivalent that meets the requirements of their state or country.
For more information, consult the Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations.

Jul 16, 2006
-Catalina C310 RNSYS
Hello All:

It is possible to obtain a PCOC by doing an online test with free retries until you pass for $49.95. There are no requirements to attend a course and there is no on-the-water component to the assessment. You can take a course if you wish.

http://www.boatsmartexam.com/en/

If you are a non-Canadian resident and can show anything that resembles a boating course from whatever country you hail from this will likely be sufficient.

It is highly likely that the mandarins in Transport Canada will not commit to giving any reasonable guidance pertaining to which 'foreign' credentials are acceptable under these regulations so the decision as to whether or not 'your papers' are acceptable will be left to the very few small vessel inspectors or the few police officers that will be working on the water. I do not believe they will closely scutinize this if you can produce something that looks like a certification.

We should not get confused about this issue: This is not about competency pertaining to operating a pleasure craft. if it were, there would be a mechanism in place to revoke the PCOC if you were later deemed 'incompetent' and there would likely also be a requirement to attend a course and do an on-the-water assessment of your abilities to operate a vessel and at the very least direct supervision of the candidate during the examination process. Just like when you get a driver's license.

Frankly, it is a farce. Unfortunately, we have to comply.

If I were a citizen of the USA and was going to visit Canada for more than 45 days or operate a Canadian licensed boat while I visited I would do the online course and exam and receive my PCOC in the mail.

My wife has suggested that I do the exam for her. So far I have refused! It goes against my values.

I have a PCOC. It was sent to me by employer at the time (CCG) more than ten years ago. I did not ask for it nor do I need it now because I have a Master's unlimited certificate of competency. However, at the time it was issued, someone in TC could not decide whether or not my commercial license which was issued by them (or the two week long fast rescue craft course in high powered rigid hulled inflatables in heavy weather or years of experience operating all manner of water craft etc) was sufficient to prove my competency.

I can not remember now the impetus for these regulations. I think it may have started with a Labour Canada investigation into a drowning after a federal government department leant a boat out to a university program or something like that (i.e. this was a CYA manouver). At the same time - the jet skis were causing all kinds of havoc with very young operators, etc and they wanted to put some controls in place.

This is how absurd the whole issue has become in Canada.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.