Passage time

Mar 10, 2021
Tartan Tartan 27 Barrington, RI
I am new to the Narragansett Bay area, and I want to get an idea of the time I’ll need to motor my Tartan 27 auxiliary from Brownell’s yard in Mattapoisett to the Cove Haven Marina in Barrington, RI. Don’t worry — I’ll be getting all necessary charts! I’m just looking for general planning information at the moment. Thanks!

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
It really is hard to estimate as it depends very strongly on the direction of the current in both Buzzards Bay and Narragansett Bay, and the wind direction, since a strong SW breeze will take off some speed through the water. Assuming you make 4 knots through the water with no wind, you might consider an over night in Newport! :)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
C-Map has a great free online charting program. There is a companion app with affordable chart subscriptions.

Mar 10, 2021
Tartan Tartan 27 Barrington, RI
It really is hard to estimate as it depends very strongly on the direction of the current in both Buzzards Bay and Narragansett Bay, and the wind direction, since a strong SW breeze will take off some speed through the water. Assuming you make 4 knots through the water with no wind, you might consider an over night in Newport! :)
Sounds like a good idea! Thanks!

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The Navionics autoroute is a free and very useful tool for route planning. I just ran your course using 4 knots speed over ground and came up with 50.7 NM, 12H 40M.
You obviously want to verify the route in detail before setting off. For instance there is a bridge but I assume your boat has less than 65feet air draft.
Navionics Autoroute.jpg

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Have to agree with Rick. For cruising I plan out a 5 knot base itinerary. If we go faster, great, but if not, we're not surprised with it getting dark or the current turning on us. For a Tartan 27, 4 knots sounds reasonable, especially under power.