Pass thru's for Antenna Cables etc...

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Anyone have any ideas about how to get cables thru the deck etc for electronics like radar etc. I've cruised the docks and various forums and I'm trying to get a good handle on how I want to run my new cables. Thanks in advance for any and all ideas no matter how crazy. Currently my GPS antenna ( which I am removing ) goes thru a small vent that has been sealed with copious amounts of sealant. I hate it...looks gross and not very well done, however it is watertight.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looking at a spec sheet it stated your mast on the 380 is deck stepped.
Why not pass the wires down inside the mast and then through the deck in the mast.

That is what I did on my CAL. Here are images of the mast base. Drilled holes in the base to snug fit the small aluminum tubes. The tubes were seated in the mast base with 4200.
IMG_0439.JPG
Large pipe for radar lead and electrical lighting wires. Small pipe for VHF coax antenna lead.

I attached flexible hoses to the pipes and passed the Radar and VHF wires (along with the electrical leads for lights) through the hoses and when setting the mast on the deck we made a loop so water running down the wires would drop off and collect in the base.
IMG_0436.JPG
I made weep holes on the bottom of the mast to let the water run out of the mast onto the deck. Then I ran the Radar and VHF antenna into the cabin and up to the NAV station as a continuous lead. Should I have to remove the mast I will either cut the wire in the cabin or remove the leads in one piece. Doing it over again I would make the tubes and hoses a little bigger. We got the wire thru but it required a lot of pushing and lubrication. We guessed and we guessed a bit to small.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I forgot to mention my new radar is going on a pole on the stern outboard of the perch seats (best seats in the house). I have been looking at the Blue sea cable clams and I like what I see. They are readily available and somewhat reasonably priced.
jssailem, you did an awesome job. My VHF and light cables run from the bilge up thru the compression post and into the mast. When I finally get around to stepping the mast I will definitely be re reading your post and using some of your methods. Thanks for the input.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
The mast step on our Hunter has a plastic conduit where all wires that feed the mast electronics enter through the coach roof. They route inside the headliner to the appropriate devices for connectivity. IMHO Hunter did a nice, clean and reliable job when they built the boat in 1991. I recommend you do the same. Be sure to place a drip loop in the wires before they enter the conduit, use 3M4200 to seal the conduit to the coach roof and leave at least two inches of conduit extending above coach roof so that rain water coming down the mast does not pool and spill into the cabin. Our cast aluminum mast step plate has a weep hole on the leading edge for the rain water to drain.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I ran my cable coax into my anchor chain "pan" (O'Day 322 does not really have a deep chain locker) and terminated it with a male connector sticking into the anchor pan. I also have a 30 amp power connection in there. I ran a coax cable from the dock box to the boat that has a slip on connection on the end. When it is time to sail, open the anchor locker, remove power cord and tv cable. The connection is protected from the weather.

Works great.

Greg

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Great idea's keep them coming, and thanks for the tip Brian. I looked on Blue Sea's website and they have 4 different ones in the catalog included one that allows the cable to enter thru the edge.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I like scan strut products. Use metal, freeze rubber puck to drill hole, drill one size smaller than actual wire size. You can fit more than one wire through it. There are several size units.