Parts/replacement of older Goiot steering system

Apr 20, 2020
Gilbert 30 Scarborough Bluffs
Hi,

I have an older (1980s) Goiot binnacle on a custom steel 36' sailboat. Just the one pic at this time though I can post more if there's a need to.
goiot binnacle 1200 pi.jpg

It's in quite reasonable condition. The mechanical advantage of the binnacle, however, is not sufficient to manage the boat easily. The quadrant is already as large as can fit and the wheel diameter can't be enlarged either without big changes to the cockpit. I believe my only remaining option (other than replacing the entire binnacle) is to change out the top chain sprocket to a smaller one and the lower chain sprocket to a larger one. I checked the Goiot website but I can't find any parts or information on their legacy systems. So I'm appealing to this forum for help. My questions are:

Does Goiot have a North American representative with capability/interest to serve legacy Goiot owners?

Did Goiot ever offer alternative gearing arrangement as I described above and does it make sense as a way to increase the wheel turn to rudder angle ratio?

Does anyone have legacy Goiot systems with parts to sell? I'd also be interested in other components such as wheel shaft bearings, chain, etc.

Would it make sense to replace the system entirely? Goiot's current offerings are high performance oriented with geometries that would not suit my sailboat or needs. I'm not familiar enough with binnacles to know how much of a nightmare it would be to fit a more current "classic" system from another manufacturer? I'm guessing the 3-hole pattern on the cockpit floor won't be the same?

Thanks and looking forward to reading the collective wisdom of this forum's particpants.

Rob

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Why not try for a lower gearing? Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm sure there are sprockets available to fit your needs. Here is but one example; I know there are others. If that doesn't work, maybe a hydraulic conversion? I don't know if that is practical, but I think it's worth looking into. I assume you don't have a balanced rudder. McMaster-Carr

Apr 20, 2020
Gilbert 30 Scarborough Bluffs
To order from a generic company I'll have to determine the chain type/size in order to find a matching cog wheel. It's a safe assumption that it's metric. I was hoping someone would know a source for these older Goiot components or at least the chain/cog type/size. If not, I'll have to take it all apart, look for markings and start measuring.

The idea of replacing all the mechanical sheaves, wires and chain/gear with a hydraulic unit is attractive, though I've heard that hydraulic steering tends to lose some of the "feel" of a well cared for mechanical system. Comments?

Are there hydraulic units that can fit onto a classical binnacle like Goiot's or would I have to purchase a whole new binnacle? I'd love to see some mechanical/hydraulic conversions to give me some ideas/inspiration.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Talk to knowledgeable machinists. They may be able to design something for you with regards to gearing. Would’ve expensive, but not as expensive as tearing everything out and replacing.