Paris Sailing

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My wife was invited to join my son's girlfriend on her trip to Europe. Of course, she couldn't turn down a trip to Europe, nor a chance to strengthen her relationship with someone important to our son, so she accepted.
Linda flew into Venice while I stayed home to take care of our farmstead business, putting the gardens to bed and our AirBnB rental turn over.
I flew to Paris 8 days later to meet up with them.
What a beautiful city. The architecture is magnificent. Nearly everyone has a little English and are far nicer than I had been lead to believe. We are staying in the Montmartre neighborhood and
Sacré-Cœur
is right outside the window of our apartment.

Walking through the Jardin du Luxembourg near the Louvre, we came across some sailboats for rent at a very reasonable €4 for 30 minutes. These little rentals have been a tradition at the Grand Bassin since 1927 and it is my understanding that they are the original hulls built by Clément Paudeau.

I just had to go for a sail.

I plunked down my €4 and picked the one with the blue sail. What a beauty.

20191021_104127(0).jpg

20191021_104152.jpg
20191021_104201.jpg
20191021_104246.jpg
20191021_104311.jpg
I think I'll christen her 'Sanq'.
She had a few issues, but there was no end to the pleasures of sailing such a gorgeous classic vessel on a gusty day surrounded by the beauty and splendor of Paris.
20191021_104655.jpg
I think she just needs a slight adjustment to her sail trim.
20191021_105709.jpg
The jib especially had a little luff problem, but I also wanted to lift the boom a bit.
20191021_105859.jpg
That meant tightening the halyard.
Afterall, it was important to maintain efficiency, as there be pirates about.
20191021_105850.jpg
... and they were looking pretty smartly trimmed.
20191021_105915.jpg
I managed to survive the encounter and returned to shore encouraged and invigorated.
I know one doesn't usually think of Paris when they think great sailing destinations, but let me just tell you...

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
My wife was invited to join my son's girlfriend on her trip to Europe. Of course, she couldn't turn down a trip to Europe, nor a chance to strengthen her relationship with someone important to our son, so she accepted.
Linda flew into Venice while I stayed home to take care of our farmstead business, putting the gardens to bed and our AirBnB rental turn over.
I flew to Paris 8 days later to meet up with them.
What a beautiful city. The architecture is magnificent. Nearly everyone has a little English and are far nicer than I had been lead to believe. We are staying in the Montmartre neighborhood and
Sacré-Cœur
is right outside the window of our apartment.

Walking through the Jardin du Luxembourg near the Louvre, we came across some sailboats for rent at a very reasonable €4 for 30 minutes. These little rentals have been a tradition at the Grand Bassin since 1927 and it is my understanding that they are the original hulls built by Clément Paudeau.

I just had to go for a sail.

I plunked down my €4 and picked the one with the blue sail. What a beauty.

View attachment 171086
View attachment 171087
View attachment 171088
View attachment 171089
View attachment 171090
I think I'll christen her 'Sanq'.
She had a few issues, but there was no end to the pleasures of sailing such a gorgeous classic vessel on a gusty day surrounded by the beauty and splendor of Paris.
View attachment 171091
I think she just needs a slight adjustment to her sail trim.
View attachment 171092
The jib especially had a little luff problem, but I also wanted to lift the boom a bit.
View attachment 171093
That meant tightening the halyard.
Afterall, it was important to maintain efficiency, as there be pirates about.
View attachment 171094
... and they were looking pretty smartly trimmed.
View attachment 171095
I managed to survive the encounter and returned to shore encouraged and invigorated.
I know one doesn't usually think of Paris when they think great sailing destinations, but let me just tell you...

-Will (Dragonfly)
I love the way you wrote this up, Will. We were in Paris about 10 years ago and I was perplexed about the 'sailboats for rent',...

Then I scrolled to your first photo. Ha! I remember those quite clearly. Thanks for the memory and the photos. I hope you've enjoyed several fresh baguettes by now.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Fantastic! So, they just move around with the wind? :biggrin:You have to walk to the otherside of the pond? Is the stick to shoo off the poloroid camera guys?

Awesome stuff.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I particularly like the graphics on your mainsail. I remember seeing children with these boats on my first trip to Paris. I wanted to join in! Glad you did. I had no idea you could rent them there.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Will,
Who wades into the pond if the wind dies and the boat is becalmed in the center?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In a classic naval maneuver, they are acting like Lord Nelson “Crossing the line“ of a French sailing fleet. Perhaps they are British Ducks, having flown in to reenact the Battle of Trafalgar for you.

Not French rescue ducks.