Painting underside of lockers and hatch covers

Jul 27, 2015
Catalina 27 Dayton
Hey fellow sailors! We are rookies at sailboat maintenance. We need to paint the underside of our covers for the forward hatch and the lockers in the cockpit. Please let us know what kind of paint we should use. Thanks!!

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Welcome aboard.
Any plain acyrlic housepaint will do fine. A friend of mine uses Rustoleum for decks and topsides.
If you don't like the results. you can always paint again.
Please post some pics of your results.

Mar 23, 2009
Rafiki 35 North East, MD
We painted the inside of the stowages on our last boat in bright white alkyd enamel. It takes a while to dry, but when it does, it looks great and provides a smooth surface that dirt and grime just wipes right off of. The surface of the inside of those stowages was fiberglass roving and the paint was also thick enough to fill in some of the tiny dips between the roving strands that loved to collect dirt previously.

For the underside of our lazarette and forward hatch, we used Interlux Brightside single part polyurethane because we were already using that on the interior cabin liner. It went on easily, dried almost immediately, looked great, and has held up. The downside was that it cost considerably more than the Home Depot brand alkyd enamel we used in the stowages. It is also a very thin paint and won't hide imperfections the way a thicker paint might.

We also have friends who have used rustoleum (brush on, not spray can) for interior surfaces and have reported good results.

I would think any of these options would work for you. Let us know how your project turns out.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I have used white bilge paint which I had left over and it worked really well.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Plus 1 for bilge paint. Used it in the engine space and it has been impervious to heat, spills and stains.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
I took a piece of bulkhead with the locker paint color to the hardware store and color matched a quart of either satin or a semigloss latex with great results. Used that finish so I can wipe it down easily. Used interlux in the bilge though.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Interlux Bilge Kote, its an enamel. On the less expensive side, Rustoleum Enamels perform just as well in my opinion, I have used both.