Painting the tough spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris

All, I'm getting ready to paint my Oday Mariner which is down to the gelcoat. She is sitting on a wooden cradle at my yard and schedule for 2-3 barriercoats and 3 ablative coats. The problem is painting the bottom where she's resting on the cradle. Is there an easy way to get at these spots, besides levitation? Can I paint, move the supports, and get the rest of the area? What factors should I consider? Is there an easier way to do this? I've heard of rolling her over, but that doesn't seem feasible or practical (bulb keel and black top yard). I'd rather not pay the yard to do this ($). How would they handle this problem? Also: Can I color the barrier coat somehow to use it as my signal layer? Thanks in advance, Chris

J

John Buckham

A case of beer will go...

…Will go a long way to having you boat hung in the travel lift overnight, after the last splash of the day. Have yours be the first the next day. Always worked for me. Travel Lift operators always seem to like beer. :)

R

R.W.Landau

Here is an idea

Chris, If you have some concrete blocks and some wood blocks and a or even better two jacks, try this. Start by jacking up one corner of the cradle about 1 1/2" the put a 2x4 block under it. Move the jack to the other side of the boat, jack it up 1 1/2" and put a 2x4 block under it. Do the same thing to the other end of the boat.The boat and cradle is now 1 1/2" higher than it was. Do this same routine again adding another 2x4 on top of the first one. You are now 3" higher than you were originally. Put a tower of concrete blocks under each side of the stern. Shim the difference with wood blocks to support the hull. Put a tower of concrete blocks under the bow center line, back far enough that it is not on the curved portion of the hull.(so it won't slip out.) Jack the cradle just enough to pull out each 2x4 block one at a time. The boat is now suspended over the cradle. Slide the cradle enough to paint the bare spots (also called "holidays").Make sure it is stable before going under the boat! Leaving the cradle under it gives some factor of safety if the boat is not stable. Reverse the order and you are back on the cradle of let them sling it right off the blocks. I would not do this on a boat bigger than 22". r.w.landau

J

Jim Malloy

Beer sounds the most logical

I agree with John, it pays to be nice to the guys that work at the marina and not only drop them a case of beer when you need their help, but at the end of the season when your boat is hauled for the winter, you do tend to get "extras" that'll help you out in your situation. That case of beer will be a lot easier than using jacks and wood, etc. to get your boat up off the cradle.

C

Chris

Thanks all!

Thanks all! Looks like my revised plan it to jack the boat up off the cradle at various spots to get coverage from my multiple barrier/ablative coats. That should keep me busy for a weekend and with a few extra bucks in my pocket. Thanks! Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.