Painting the keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jsailor

I have removed the keel from my C22 for reconditioning; the rust scale is chipping off easily and I am using a metal grinder to smooth the surface as much as possible. Does anyone have some good information on the proper paint to use? Should a primer be applied before the anti-foul? Is one of the rust preventative paints appropreate or can there be a galvanic action with them? Any help is greatly apprecaited. Robert

May 20, 2007
Catalina 22 Henderson NY
POR-15

I used a product called POR-15. on my keel this spring. I used three coats of the stuff, and then put their primer over it. I then applyed two coat of VC-17 over that. You can look up this company on line and read all about their products. This stuff is great. It dryes fast and the MORE moisture in the air the faster it drys. Follow ALL of their instructions and you will have a great job. Dale

B

Bob B.

Zinc-rich primer

I had my keel sandblasted and primed with a zinc rich primer 15 years ago & it is still in good shape after 15 years in fresh water. I also applied an Endura 2 part poluyurethane? top coat. Over that period, I had about 6 dime sized rust spots that I patched up as well as the rock damage on the very bottom end of the keel. This is a Canadian made product but you folks living below the 49th will have a similar product. For information on this product, Google "Endura zinc rich primer". Regards from Canada.

J

jsailor

Keel Paint

Thanks much for the advice; I have another reply and both will be a help in preparing the keel for another ten years of sailing. We see many Canadian flags here during the summer; it is always a pleasure to see our good friends from up North enjoying our warm waters. Robert

J

jsailor

The Keel

I will look up the POR-15 on the web; it sounds good. I chipped the paint off and used a metal grinder to smooth out the iron, it appears that the rust was not very deep into the metal. A machine shop has the keel now for boring out the pivot hole and installing a bushing to repair the out-of-round situation that developed over the years. Thanks for the feedback, this is a great forum for the sailors who need advice and want to perform as much of the work necessary themselves. I am certain we will chat again. Robert

May 20, 2007
Catalina 22 Henderson NY
Por -15 levels

Robert, The Por-15 also has the ability to level out the surface. My keel had some pits etc. and after three coats of Por-15 were applyed it was real smooth. This is great stuff. As I stated, use all of the steps they recommend and you will have a nice job when finished. Dale

J

jsailpor

POR-15 Finish

Thanks again Dale, the machine shope where my keel is being rebushed has also recommended POR-15. I want to get the boat back in the water soon, we are missing some important races but if I must order POR-15 I will have to wait for it. I also have a San Juan 22 that we race but it is not as comfortable as the Catalina and not nearly as solid. We are trying to find a local dealer but if that does not work I will order it direct from POR-15 later today. How does the anti-foul paint hold up on the POR-15? We sail in salt water and our dock is in brackish to fresh water. We do have a problem with barnicles and the bottom paint is a must. Any advice you have is very appreciated. Robert

May 20, 2007
Catalina 22 Henderson NY
No problem

Robert, There should not be a problem. You have to put a primer over the Por-15. or the top coats of anyother paint will not stick to it. This is very important. We used two coats of primer and then used VC-17.. We are in fresh water (Lake Ontario). and need it for the zebra mussels. I would think that any bottom paint would work fine. They have a new primer now that is better than the older one they had before. We used the older one, and if I have to primer again I will use the new one. But both work real well. The whole process is very quick. You can put three coats of the Por-15 on in one day. You have to put the second and third coats on when the last coat is still alittle tacky to the touch. You begin the process by washing the keel to remove any oil or residue. You then wash the keel with a zinc based wash that makes the Por-15 react with it and it sticks like there is no tomorrow. As I said before, go through ALL of the steps they recommend. It is not hard, and the end product is great. Let me know how you made out. Dale

J

jsailor

The Process

Hey Dale, I called the folks at Por-15 to place the order; the gent I talked with gave me the same advice you offered and I shall proceed as ordered. The added benefit must be a smoother keel with less drag in the water. As the keel is now I am certain it can not be an advantage when looking for top speed as we race. Thankfully we are not infested with the Zebra Mussels, from what I have read they are a serious threat to the ecology in your area. Since you mentioned them I will look for more information on that topic. We race tomorrow with our San Juan Sloop, it is not nearly as comfortable as the Catalina but it is very fast in light wind. My grandson (he is 15) is helmsman and I crew for the races, I much prefer to cruise with a beer in the cup rather than racing but we are a winning team (won 4 out of 8 races last season) and whatever he wants he gets. I should have the Por-15 on the keel by the end of the week, I shall let you know how it all worked out. Robert

May 20, 2007
Catalina 22 Henderson NY
different topic

Robert, On an unrelated topic. How do you paint under your bunks? I am still trying to solve this one. I have seen all kinds of skeems for this one, but non have been what I am looking for. Just wondering how you do this. Thanks Dale

D

David H

Simple

When I had the 22' it was a simple thing to paint the bottom...Drop the trailer tounge to the ground to raise the transom, then support the transom with a "heavy" sawhorse. Then jack up the front of the trailer as high as the stern, support the boat as close to the bunks as you can with a beam and a couple of heavy sawhorses, then drop the trailer. You can easily get the boat up high enough to clear the trailer.

J

jsailor

Painting the bilge

Hi Dale, We are just in from a big time race which we won. It was a tough race; the lead changed a few times but at the last upwind run to the finish we made history; we kicked butt. I want to tell you about painting the bilges on our boats; I have had great results. Tomorrow will be easier for me to get it to you; I will get back soon. Robert

J

jsailor

Clean Bilge

Hi Dale, Keeping a clean bilge is at the top of my priority list; the tight places on the C22 are not the easiest but I get there with a four inch roller with an extension handle. I have been using Interlux Brightside Urethane for the past few years and I am very pleased with the results. The light gray is my choice; the finish is bright and smooth and very easy to keep clean. My son has an inboard power boat and I painted his bilge a few years back; it is still perfect even under the engine where dirt can collect. The Brightside finish is so smooth that running a rag around on the end of a short broom handle does the job. My keel is still at the machine shop; I hope to get it back today and start the Pos-15 process. We need our Cat back at the starting line at race time. Robert

May 20, 2007
Catalina 22 Henderson NY
Thanks for the update

Robert Thanks for the update. I too like the bilge clean. I will be painting yous this fall or next spring. Thanks for the tip. Please let me know when you finish your keel. I am looking forward to hearing how the job turned out. Dale

J

jsailor

Rebuilt Keel

Hi Dale, The keel in back in place and I am sincerely grateful for all the advice. The POR-15 appears to be exactly as you described; a good product. I was alone on this project and it was difficult without another pair of hands but the keel is working and I am still alive. The machine shop did a superb job of reboring the pivot and setting the new pin that Catalina Direct provided. Getting the keel back up into the slot was not the easiest job I ever had to do but it is done. I built a dolly with verticle support brackes that kept the keel plumb; it rolled under the boat without a problem and I used the hydraulic jack under the dolly to raise the keel into the hull with allthread rod turned into the hull as guides. Tomorrow I hope to step the mast and get back to sailing; it has been a very rough week and I am ready for some time on the Bay. The advice from the Catalina Owners made the job for me as well as the tech I talked with from Catalina Direct. It has been a pleasure to chat with you as the project progressed and I hope we can continue to stay in touch. I would enjoy knowing more about sailing on the Great Lakes and seeing a few pictures of that part of the World. Robert

May 20, 2007
Catalina 22 Henderson NY
Robert a question

Robert, I am glad it went well. I have a quick question for you. What did you torque the keel bolts to? I have seen all kinds of numbers ( ft lbs ) for this. What did you use. I want to replace mine in the spring. Thanks and good luck with the racing. Dale

J

jsailor

Keel Hanger Bolts

Hi Dale, I did not use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts. I know this is how it should be done but my torque wrench was in my son's truck when I was installing the keel and I did not call Catalina Direct to ask the Tech about the torque. Lock-tite was with the bolts in the keel hanger kit from Catalina which I used. The torque wrench is absolutely the best way to go but I am a life long elevator mechanic with a good feel for that type of assembly; any bolt should be tightened to the point just before it starts to be stretched, I am confident I accomplished this. When I removed the keel the bolts were not nearly as tight as I had imagined they would be, in my judgement they were too loose but they held the keel. Four 5/16 inch bolts and the lift cable do not appear hefty enough to carry such a heavy load but Catalina must know more than I do about that. One of the new Catalina 22s here at my dock is having warranty work performed by the dealer, he tells me their mechanics do not always use the torque wrench either and as long as the bolts are tightened euqually be an experienced mechanic there is no problem. I have seven boats tied up here at my docks; two are new Catalinas. Both new boats have more problems than either of the two older Cats we have. Both new boats have leaks in the cabin top and gelcoat crazing in various places. One of the techs working doing the repairs told me the new boats have some very annoying problems and the leaks are not easy to remedy. On one boat all the cushions were soaked after a heavy rain. These are expensive, new boats with serious defects that the older models never had.

Status
Not open for further replies.