Painting the Boat

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Hey Everyone -

I'm going to be painting the boat this spring. The hull from the rub rail to the bottom paint. I've watched the YouTube tutorials and read the Jamestown project guides. I don't want to do more than I need to, but I want to do a good job.

I'm using Brightsides paint, which is on crazy clearance sale (discontinued, I think). I've got my paint and my primer. Do I need "burnishing liguid" or thinner?

Any other tips or suggestions if you've done this yourself?

Fortunately it's a small boat (18')

Thanks -

John

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
John... In your case... Size matters.

A boat owner in the marina I use, painted his deck using Brightside paint. It still looks good after 3 years of exposure. Your job will be limited to the effort you exert in preparing the hull for painting. The smoother you prepare the hull the better will be the final appearance.

When applying your paint be sure to maintain a wet edge as you go along. Keep the layers of paint thin and lightly tip the surface to dispell bubbles as the paint gases off and self-levels.

Regarding thinner follow the directions of the manufacturer. They know the paint and what is required to get a proper finish. I do not believe burnishing liquid will improve your project.

Brightsides is a one part polyurethane paint. It will hold up for a few years. Depending on your boat usage will require repainting.

Good luck. Send up pictures.
(I am not a paint expert... I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express once.)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I did the topsides on my MFG Bandit many years ago. It was a fun project and I was happy with the results using Brightside. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS! - including the various auxiliary products from Interlux. There is one for colder temps which could apply there in Michigan. Most of those solvents require excellent ventilation - I believe Xylene is in one of the products. I do remember my neighbor complaining about the smell.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I bought a boat that was painted from top to bottom with Brightside. The paint was solid on the deck, cabin top, etc. It was coming off pretty badly on the bottom, keel and cockpit sole. I'm not sure how much or how well the boat was prepped before hand. Most of the deck and boat had the Interlux branded grip additive. It was a bit abrasive. I think once or twice in three years I got an abrasion mark on my skin but otherwise it was fine. I will add that my boat got dirtier faster and went through more cleaning sponges than boats with gelcoat.

When it comes time to paint my current boat, I will be doing some research on two part paints. Practical Sailor should have some good test data

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Another Option:

Consider using a 2 part paint. As a general rule 2-part paints have better shine and are more durable than 1 part paints. They are a little tricky to apply and they do cost more.

Alexseal is a 2 part paint that is designed to rolled and tipped, not sprayed. Andy Miller on the BoatWorksToday channel has several videos on Alexseal.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
I assume you mean "brushing liquid", aka 333, not "burnishing". Yes, you'll want some if you are doing roll and tip. It helps a lot to dial in the viscosity for your temperature and work rate so that you have enough time to tip and it will smooth out nicely.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Any other tips or suggestions if you've done this yourself?
You can adjust the amount of brushing liquid to achieve a good balance between too runny and gets sticky too fast. You can't tip when it gets sticky. You may have to add more brushing liquid to your open pot as you work to maintain that balance.

Primer dries pretty fast but subsequent finish coats will take progressively longer to dry. A warm environment helps, above 70F.

If sanding between coats, I'll tack wipe with distilled water instead of thinner. Make sure the water is completely dry before recoating. Tack wiping with thinner can re-disolve old layers pretty quick. One part paint will be soft for several days even after it dries so you'll not want to disturb it for a week or more.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
watch the TotalBoat YouTube . after I did, I bought Total boat for my topsides and hull. The total Boat 1 part PU supposedly fills in the minor crazing pretty well. I used Bright side with proper primer and paint technique on my 8 foot pram 10 years ago. it's holding up fine. Note that Bright side is NOT for use below water line. One of the best investments I made for my outside boat painting adventures was a 9x9x9 awning with sturdy poles , to set up next to the boat and protect the operations from sun and rain.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
If you don't want to have to repaint again soon, take @dlochner's advice about 2-part paint. One-part polyurethanes tend to hold up a few years. Two-part polyurethanes last a dozen or more. The surface prep and application requirements are pretty much the same for both types - a LOT of work, and time. It makes more sense to use a two part paint once than a one-part paint three or four times.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
First of all, Brightside or any 2-part polyurethane paint like Awlgrip (Brightside is one part), will blister when submerged and exposed to water for long periods of time. You (the person who started this thread) want to paint from gunwale to waterline (which is called the topsides), so you shouldn't have a blistering problem unless you have the waterline not in the right place, where it is submerged. If you use antifouling paint, that paint should be a bit above where the boat floats on her lines.
Preparation is always the best way to get final results. That means cleaning the surface well so there are no contaminants, and the solvent you used shouldn't leave any contaminants either. Then a good sanding, so you get a frosty finish with no shininess showing through. A good sanding gives you the proper tooth for the paint. A shiny surface has no lasting tooth - so sand well. Then clean again.
Primer has a few purposes. One is to help bond the final coat choice to the surface you are painting and the second is it helps fill up porosity which is often evident especially on older fiberglass. Dark or gray primers are used for reds, dark blues, dark greens, black, etc. while white primers are used for lighter colors. After priming, sanding and cleaning is done again. It is always a good idea to use primers designed by the manufacturer for the paint you will finish with.
When cleaning, paper towels are good (some shop towels have chemicals in them. Don't use them) Certainly not any cloths that leave anything behind. Keep changing the towels, rotating often, instead of pushing sanding dust, oils, waxes, etc. around and around. You want to eliminate these things rather than push them around. Solvents that don't flash too quickly, such as acetone, are not good choices. Something with a degreaser dewaxer is preferred. Since you are using an interlux product, Interlux Fiberglass Solvent Wash is a good choice.
Application of the top coat can be sprayed or rolled or brushed on. There are different thinners for each method. Brushing thinners will help the flow of the paint if rolling or brushing. Part of the reason for use of different solvents beside viscosity is the evaporation drying time, which varies between the two methods.
It is always better to apply more than one thin coat, rather than fewer thick coats.
When applying, create a "wet edge" throughout the whole process so it all dries consistently. Don't paint 1/4 of your hull, go have a up of coffee and then return after a bit and start where you left off. That would be disastrous .
If you are rolling and tipping, then have help on hand. One person to roll and another to tip.
Proper preparation certainly is huge to get fabulous results. I've seen paint jobs that are rolled and tipped look as good as a spray job.
Good luck, and be patient and diligent.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
As BB outlines above, the process is a lot of work. It takes hours to do the cleaning right.(Don't forget the carbon-filter mask for the volatiles in the cleaning fluid.) It takes hours to sand everything. He has not mentioned taking a day to tape off the areas you don't want to paint. (That's how long it takes to ensure you haven't missed spots.Later you will still find spots you missed and there will be paint on them.) He has also not mentioned how temperature, humidity and wind can delay painting or ruin a coat that has taken hours to apply. All this adds up to a huge effort that you will not want to repeat more often than necessary. As mentioned before, one-part paints hold up for a few years. Two-part paints last for a dozen or more years. One-part paints are marginally cheaper, but is your time and effort worth doing it three times instead of once?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
One other thing: In Michigan by the time it gets warm enough to paint outside the pollen season will be upon you. If you can paint indoors or in an enclosure you will be happier. As was said several times the prep is a lot of work. It's disheartening to see a layer of fresh paint greened with the pollen de jour.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
It's only and 18' boat, so preparation won't be as bad as a larger boat. And yes, you want to protect your lungs and skin during the process. And, if the boat is older, then justifying the cost of two part polyurethanes might not be justified, unless one has deep pockets. Also, the addition of all the paints needed for two parts escalates as does the price. The primer for Awlgrip, for example, would be 545 2-part epoxy with a reducer (that's 3 cans). Then the color of choice plus Awcat #3 for brushing it on. That's 2 more cans. Then a reducer for the topcoat color depending on the temperature of application. The smallest quantity one can purchase is at least a quart, which is probably way more than needed for an 18' boat. And, lung and skin protection becomes a more serious factor with these products.
As BB outlines above, the process is a lot of work. It takes hours to do the cleaning right.(Don't forget the carbon-filter mask for the volatiles in the cleaning fluid.) It takes hours to sand everything. He has not mentioned taking a day to tape off the areas you don't want to paint. (That's how long it takes to ensure you haven't missed spots.Later you will still find spots you missed and there will be paint on them.) He has also not mentioned how temperature, humidity and wind can delay painting or ruin a coat that has taken hours to apply. All this adds up to a huge effort that you will not want to repeat more often than necessary. As mentioned before, one-part paints hold up for a few years. Two-part paints last for a dozen or more years. One-part paints are marginally cheaper, but is your time and effort worth doing it three times instead of once?