Painting just below water line

May 16, 2019
Catalina 30 Northport
My Catalina 30 has 4 coats base + 2 coats of Interlux CRC applied. A more experienced sailor in my yard thought I could get another season out of the current paint. Unfortunately the shipyard doesn't allow owners to paint their bottoms. I'm considering painting the 12'' or so under the waterline which shows the most wear and which I could probably get away with without them noticing. Thoughts? Bad idea? Not worth it? On a normal year I'd probably just have them do it but money is tight...

May 16, 2019
Catalina 30 Northport
Painting the whole bottom? Probably get me uninvited for next year (I do like the yard in general). My question is more about whether slapping 2 coats below the water line would be an “ok” fix for one last season.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Understood the premise of the post.. But in your own words, you could probably get away with it without then noticing.. Before you can do the painting, you need to really do a cost analyst. It might be work broaching the subject with them, Given it is just the boot top..

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think the launch crew would know it in an instant. Whether they tell on you or not, I don't know. But most the yard guys know what side their bread is buttered on. In one place we dropped a bunch of masts on a Sunday. There were repercussions.

Feb 13, 2017
Catalina C-22 Lake Dillon
My Catalina 30 has 4 coats base + 2 coats of Interlux CRC applied. A more experienced sailor in my yard thought I could get another season out of the current paint. Unfortunately the shipyard doesn't allow owners to paint their bottoms. I'm considering painting the 12'' or so under the waterline which shows the most wear and which I could probably get away with without them noticing. Thoughts? Bad idea? Not worth it? On a normal year I'd probably just have them do it but money is tight...
Do you think the management at your boat yard is reading your post. They probably thank you for the alert.

Feb 13, 2017
Catalina C-22 Lake Dillon
Do you think the management at your boat yard is reading your post? They probably thank you for the alert.