Painting inside the keel locker, antifouling?

Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
The project is moving along and I'm eyeing this difficult to reach place while the swing keel is out.
85 Macgregor 25, everything is fiberglass.

My desire is the scuff it up and shoot some white paint in there, giving the surface some protection and improving visibility in there.

My question is, what paint? Should I attempt to apply new gelcoat in there? Roll on epoxy? Or just a few coats of the Totalboat Krypton I'm using elsewhere?

Thanks!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Keel trunk=the hollow in the Hull where a retractable keel goes

Locker = area inside the boat where you store things.

What is wrong with the existing gelcoat that you need to repair or replace it?
(You seem be thinking of using it like paint, when it is not paint and normally doesn't need to be re-applied)

Antifouling paint is used to stop organic growth on the Hull.
Hull growth = Use anti fouling
No Hull growth (Maybe always on a trailer) = you don't need anti-fouling.

"Roll on Epoxy" ?
Do you mean epoxy paint? Or epoxy that is used for fiberglass/laminating etc?

Epoxy paint is often used on a hull, before antifouling is applied.

If the keel trunk is undamaged.. No cracks, existing paint isn't peeling, etc... Then you would just need to paint it...

Assuming you have antifouling on the rest of the hull, then just use more anti fouling.

If the boat never gets growth because it is usually on the trailer, then you can use hull paint that don't have antifouling properties.

But.. Make sure the new paint is compatible with the old paint. Totalboat will be able to tell you if you need to sand off all the old paint, apply an epoxy paint as a barrier/sealer between layers, or just apply it on top.

Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
Keel trunk=the hollow in the Hull where a retractable keel goes
Locker = area inside the boat where you store things.
This might explain why I had trouble finding info. lol
The problem with the Keel trunk is; it's 40 years old, has been home to catastrophically rusting iron keel, an dno one has ever done anything to maintain or clean it.

I can't say for sure how bad it is, though I'm reasonably sure is doesn't have a direct need for gelcoat repair.

But, it is exposed right now, and while it's opened up I want to do whatever I can to make sure it's in the best shape possible before the keel goes back in.

It will live on the trailer, shouldn't be on the water for more than a week at a time. I have antifouling paint, but I don't have hull paint at hand. I'm happy to spend a bit for a quart of something if it's the right thing for the boat. "Totalboat Totalprotect" comes to mind, if ablative paint is unnecessary.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
Any idea what paint, if any, is in the keel trunk now?
Considering the neglected nature of the keel, it's probably whatever Macgregor put in there. It's filthy, doesn't feel like old ablative, nor is it smooth anymore.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
@Project_Mayhem has it right.

Since its living on a trailer, I don't see bothering with antifouling, unless you just want to make the bottom colour consistent.

Simple roughness of keel trunk paint won't harm water flow. Doesn't matter how attractive it is.

Or course the ultimate solution would be to remove whatever paint the prior owners used.. And optionally paint it.

All depends on your goal.

First try a good pressure washer.. Don't bother with a cheap 1500 psi unit. I believe the gas powered one we have at the marina is a 5000psi unit.
Ablative paint, by definition, should just come off easily. Anything else would require sanding or stripping.

I believe @dlochner was the member who recently posted a DIY formula for removing hull paint. I haven't tried it, but I will do so in the future.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
@Project_Mayhem has it right.

Since its living on a trailer, I don't see bothering with antifouling, unless you just want to make the bottom colour consistent.

Simple roughness of keel trunk paint won't harm water flow. Doesn't matter how attractive it is.

Or course the ultimate solution would be to remove whatever paint the prior owners used.. And optionally paint it.

All depends on your goal.

First try a good pressure washer.. Don't bother with a cheap 1500 psi unit. I believe the gas powered one we have at the marina is a 5000psi unit.
Ablative paint, by definition, should just come off easily. Anything else would require sanding or stripping.

I believe @dlochner was the member who recently posted a DIY formula for removing hull paint. I haven't tried it, but I will do so in the future.
The yard my boat is at has a few power washers. The one I used is only 3200psi but it pumps out something like 5.5gpm. The one I have at home is 2800psi and 2.7gpm. Mine wouldn't touch it but the yard's did a fantastic job. GPM is equivelant to the amount of work the machine will perform. Do not try a 0 degree or rotating nozzle. It will cause damage to the gelcoat even on a smaller machine. Dont ask me how I know :banghead:

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I'd like to take credit for this but l can't. @rgranger is the resident chemist. I only play one on online forums. ;)
My mistake, all you sailor types look alike online to me.

In my defence I can often forget where I left my cellphone..
I think it's all hazards of 6 Saturdays and a Sunday.. Or too much forum time.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Here you are... And it is your thread @HeelBoy ..:biggrin:

I would probably just mix that up, strip the paint and leave the hull below the waterline, just bare fiberglass. If fussy about the appearance... either paint it or polish and wax it. Like some people do with trailered powerboats.