Painted Hull, Why?

Apr 10, 2017
Seidelman 37 Kemah, TX
Looking at a 1974 Out Island 41 that has had the hull and deck painted at some point in time. Is there some underlying problem that would require the hull to be painted? I know that Valiants of a certain time had sever blister problems, but was there a similar problem with Morgans of the 1974 time period. I ask because we just sold a Taiwan Tub that had gelcoat so thin in many places that the fiberglass showed through. Only way to fix it was a $20,000 paint job.
Thanks,
Bob

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Hard to tell via the internet. Gelcoat is inherently porous and improper maintenance can result in chalking, fading or simply wearing to the point it looks bad and can't be restored leaving the only option of painting. Alternatively, some people prefer other than a vanilla topsides but you didn't mention the paint color so it's difficult to discern if color plays a part.

If you are referring to the hull (bottom), epoxy barrier coat is paint but as you mention the deck was painted, that implies you aren't referring to a bottom job barrier coat.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Is there some underlying problem that would require the hull to be painted?
There are underlying problems that would call for a paint job. That doesn't mean a new paint job indicates an underlying problem.
If the boat suffered damage such as a collision, the glass could be repaired and the hull and deck painted. It could, most likely, be good as new. The hull could suffer blistering, as you suggested, and been repaired. It could have been repaired even better than new or it is just a cosmetic cover-up. There could also have been a dulling of the gelcoat and a desire to renew the finish. I have now had the chance to repaint my new boat but I will because it was built in '73, the finish is dull and I want to change the color from white to blue. There are 2 part epoxy paints that have harder, better wearing finish than gelcoat, they are easier to work with too. That could be the reason for the paint job.
Ask the seller your question directly. The fact that it was both hull and deck that were repainted would indicate it was a color choice or maybe a repair of a collision that damaged both areas. If there was blistering, I would expect that to only be limited to one area. However, that isn't necessarily true. Look on the inside of the hull and underside of the deck, pay special attention to chain plates and backer plates, tap it with a plastic screw driver handle, listen for weak or hollow areas. Look everywhere you can see bare fiberglass.
If it had blistering in one area, it might have it in another.
- Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Looking at a 1974 Out Island 41 that has had the hull and deck painted at some point in time. Is there some underlying problem that would require the hull to be painted? I know that Valiants of a certain time had sever blister problems, but was there a similar problem with Morgans of the 1974 time period. I ask because we just sold a Taiwan Tub that had gelcoat so thin in many places that the fiberglass showed through. Only way to fix it was a $20,000 paint job.
Thanks,
Bob
Is there a 43 year old original gel coat hull around that isn't dull and faded? Somebody show me a good photo of one.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yup.. In the semi tropical sun of the Gulf coast, the original gel coat, unless meticulously maintained, would be thinned and oxidized.. painting would be one solution.. not necessarily a sign of a problem other than that.

Apr 10, 2017
Seidelman 37 Kemah, TX
Thanks all. We will revisit the boat shortly and I will see what the owner/broker have to say about it. I had not considered covering up hull damage.
Thanks,
Bob

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I had not considered covering up hull damage.
I wouldn't suggest the paint was to "cover up" hull damage other than one would always paint over a repair job. The repairs on a fiberglass hull could be just as strong as the original. But no one wants to sail around with their patch work showing.
It's just good to know.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 10, 2017
Seidelman 37 Kemah, TX
As long as repair work was done properly. I'll have to take a serious look around the inside.

Dec 19, 2014
Tartan 30 Baltimore
We painted a '73 Tartan because the gelcoat was so faded and chalky we couldn't "buff it out". We also change the color.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Painted the deck and coach roof on my '83 Hunter because the gel coat was wearing off in some places.