paint

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I have a name painted on the hull of my boat, and I am wanting to remove it.... I am not sure how is the best way to do that.... My wife and I want to rename the boat.... we have our new name for the boat ready to be put on, but I am unsure how the best way to remove the old name ?... I am seeking advice on how to remove it, without messing up the finish around it.... I am not going to repaint the hull at this time... maybe next spring I will be in the position to repaint it, but for now I am only looking to remove the old name.... we will then perform the ritual of removing the old name and the naming ceremony....

I am unsure what paint was used to put the name on with, and if it is under or over the gelcoat on the boat.....

any advice will be greatly appreciated

sincerely
Jess

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Some people swear by easy-off oven cleaner. I've had mixed success with that. What HAS worked for me is wet 600 grit sandpaper till its off, then 800.

Turned this:

into this

Also removed that line of hardened Cetol. Nice.

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello Jackdaw

thanks for the tips.... I will try the easy off oven cleaner 1st.... if it doesn't work, then I will do the sanding... I was hoping not to have to sand it, but will do it .... I plan to repaint the hull next spring after taxes come in.... this year I am outfitting the boat for sailing, and painting the deck...

again thanks

Sincerely
Jess

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Is it paint or vinyl? If it's vinyl, a heat gun and scraper. If it's paint I've had success with solvent, razor blade used very carefully, gloves and rags. Just make sure the solvent doesn't effect the gelcoat.
Ken

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
If it is vinyl go to your local automotive paint supply store and ask for an eraser wheel. its a 4-6 '' rubber disk you chuck in your drill . you can remove most stickers with out harming the paint under it . We use them all the time on cars and trucks for removing pin striping and emblem glue/duble sided tape.

Feb 11, 2006
Hunter 34 Galveston,Texas
hello all

I have a name painted on the hull of my boat, and I am wanting to remove it.... I am not sure how is the best way to do that.... My wife and I want to rename the boat.... we have our new name for the boat ready to be put on, but I am unsure how the best way to remove the old name ?... I am seeking advice on how to remove it, without messing up the finish around it.... I am not going to repaint the hull at this time... maybe next spring I will be in the position to repaint it, but for now I am only looking to remove the old name.... we will then perform the ritual of removing the old name and the naming ceremony....

I am unsure what paint was used to put the name on with, and if it is under or over the gelcoat on the boat.....

any advice will be greatly appreciated

ForumRunner_20150211_100837.jpg

If it is paint.Hopefully, sign paint without a hardener.The the oven cleaner really does work.
If it is a decal then get the eraser wheel.Follow directions on the package. Do not press down on the wheel.Start from right and go left into the decal.
I would not recommend sanding and buffing paint off,unless it is almost gone anyway.You can really create a mess if you don't know what you are doing.