Paint removal

Jul 13, 2018
S2 8.0C Johnson Lake
The blue paint on my 1976 S2 8.0C is coming off and there is a red color showing thru. I removed some thru hulls and see that the red color is the only layer on top of the fiberglass. Is this red color the gelcoat? I was expecting white.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hard to tell. You the only owner?
If not perhaps a previous owner painted the bottom with a red paint. I am assuming you are talking about the bottom because you mention the "thru hull".

A picture is always a fun addition to these types of questions.

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Probably not. Is the Blue paint an ablative bottom paint? Often owners will paint the first coat or barrier coat in a contrasting color so that as the main layer of bottom paint wears off it will be easy to see where the wear is.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I use an ablative. First coat, many years ago, was red. Subsequent coats are blue. I hope I don't start seeing red for awhile.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
My guess is the red is the gelcoat. Is it considerably thicker than the blue?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It sure looks thicker. Looks like someone sprayed a pinkish paint as well.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Gell coats are sprayed in a number of coats. Often, after the first two or three a contrasting color will be used to assure coverage.

Jul 13, 2018
S2 8.0C Johnson Lake
The red doesn't seem to be thicker but the blue came off when I pulled off the "For Sale" signs that were duct taped on. My guess now is that the blue is the gelcoat since the deck is a light blue (or light gray) color, and that wouldn't match the red and the deck hasn't been repainted. So does anyone have a good idea about removing the blue? I need to remove it sinceI can't paint over it if its not sticking to the red under layer. Since I'm in a building I thought about paint stripper. I tried regular stripper I had at home, but had little results. I'm sure its because its gelcoat not house paint. Any ideas from past experiences?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Sanding sucks but it's inevitable even with a stripper. I used Total Boat's Total Strip and can recommend it. Most of the time I would slather it on, cover it with wax paper and about an hour later it would scrape off with ease. If I let sit for a little longer the wax paper would fall to the ground with the paint attached. I found that a large paint brush worked well to shovel it on thick, a paint roller made fast work out of larger areas and a car window ice scraper worked well to scrape off the paint (heavier duty than plastic paint scrapers). It should be noted that I was removing topside paint that a previous owner put on the bottom. I used one largish container for a 19' boat. I have a second, unopened container sitting around. PM me if you're interested in it

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Wouldn't the red have to be gelcoat? The layer beneath looks like bare fiberglass.
Also, I have never seen a layer of gelcoat come off when peeling duct tape or any other adhesive off. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I have only seen it with paint.

Jul 13, 2018
S2 8.0C Johnson Lake
Sanding sucks but it's inevitable even with a stripper. I used Total Boat's Total Strip and can recommend it. Most of the time I would slather it on, cover it with wax paper and about an hour later it would scrape off with ease. If I let sit for a little longer the wax paper would fall to the ground with the paint attached. I found that a large paint brush worked well to shovel it on thick, a paint roller made fast work out of larger areas and a car window ice scraper worked well to scrape off the paint (heavier duty than plastic paint scrapers). It should be noted that I was removing topside paint that a previous owner put on the bottom. I used one largish container for a 19' boat. I have a second, unopened container sitting around. PM me if you're interested in it
Total Boats Total Strip has good reviews, so yes I'll take that extra can off your hands if you want to sell it.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
It could be a fairing compound. When you thicken resin with some things it turns that color.