Paint looks horrible - contour sanding to look good?

Jun 20, 2021
Beneteau 343 Fort Lauderdale
I'm using a 2-part epoxy primer that is building, so I was hoping that it would smooth out the rough edges. That was wishful thinking as it seems to really highlight my prep and sanding flaws. Even filling pin holes requires some mechanical brushing or similar. Overall, not a total fail as the job came out very well except for some of my patches. Certainly, better than a newbie deserves.

I'm redoing a few patches that look bad. I've found a few youtube videos for auto body painting that have some interesting tips and tricks to create nice smooth contours, but I didn't find much for boats. Any resources?

In particular, it would be nice to wet down the surface (or similar) to highlight the flaws before I get to the epoxy primer stage. Maybe I just need to brush on primer and sand between coats until I get something that I'm happy with. Comments are welcome.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
What exactly are you painting (hull, non skid, deck)? What paint system are you applying? What prep work did you do? I recently painted 600 sqft of pattered non-skid gelcoat with Awlgrip 3 part system (color-matched topcoat, converter and reducer) resulting in a glossy finish on my 37 year old boat. Prep work consisted of washing followed by acetone treatment and taping off.

Jun 20, 2021
What exactly are you painting (hull, non skid, deck)? What paint system are you applying? What prep work did you do? I recently painted 600 sqft of pattered non-skid gelcoat with Awlgrip 3 part system (color-matched topcoat, converter and reducer) resulting in a glossy finish on my 37 year old boat. Prep work consisted of washing followed by acetone treatment and taping off.
the freeboard on a Beneteau currently.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
+1 for Boatworks Today. He’s got several videos on fairing and painting starting with
The third video after that includes using a guide coat to see any imperfections when sanding -

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
You are applying primer to patches on your topsides? Patches on topsides sounds like a recipe for disaster, especially if you are using hi-build primer. The primer has to be sanded smooth. ANY ridges or unevenness will be telegraphed in the thin coats of finish paint.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I strongly suggest the 10-foot rule. If you can't see it from 10 feet, life is too short to worry about it. I strive to do better than that, and mostly do, but I'm not going to torture myself over it either. A boat is a tool for sailing and exploring. Reliability is the only area I will not compromise.

Jun 20, 2021
I strongly suggest the 10-foot rule. If you can't see it from 10 feet, life is too short to worry about it. I strive to do better than that, and mostly do, but I'm not going to torture myself over it either. A boat is a tool for sailing and exploring. Reliability is the only area I will not compromise.
Yeah, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but I did dramatically improve the patches and things are looking much better.

No silver bullet here, but just an attention to detail. It's definitely an art form, but also the realization that every defect will be amplified during painting.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Another point.... using water to 'see' if you have highs or lows/check for fairness doesn't really work, the water film hides those flaws due to its thickness. Don't ask how I know!!

Jun 20, 2021
Another point.... using water to 'see' if you have highs or lows/check for fairness doesn't really work, the water film hides those flaws due to its thickness. Don't ask how I know!!
I was cleaning a new spray gun from manufacturer oils today with surface prep cleaner and decided to use it for wiping down the surface. Surprise! Nice thin reflective layer.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Might want to look into Total Boat Total Fair fairing compound.

Jun 20, 2021
I did finally work out how to do this so that it looks professional. Copying from the large number of body shop youtube videos, the solution is to apply the fairing in multiple applications and then sand where each one gets successively closer to what you want. It often takes 3-4 layers to get it how you want it.

And be cognizant that any imperfection will be amplified by painting. If you can live with it being 10x worse, then you're ready to paint.