paint for cabin storage and removing the threshold of catalina 22.

Sep 22, 2019
Chrysler 26 Pymatuning Lake
Hi,
I am painting the storage areas along with the raw fiberglass underneath the cockpit bench and the are under the step down into the cabin of my '74 catalina 22. SHould I use bilge paint for the entire set-up? Also, the threshold needs to be replaced. Any ideas of how to get it off? See attached video for areas I am painting and for the issue with the threshold. Thanks in advance for your help.

click here for above referenced video

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Personally I wouldn't bother painting the storage areas or the raw fiberglass. Paint just creates a need for constant maintenance. Paint eventually peels and needs refinishing whereas gelcoat and fiberglass usually just needs cleaning and maybe polishing after 30 years.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
If the threshold was glued in, you will likely have to chisel it out and make a new one.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have painted a few unfinished areas of my boat, mostly to brighten them up an make it easier to clean. Like in the are behind my engine, where the shaft log and plumbing lines run. And under my holding tank when I had it out for repair. And under my port water tank when I pulled it out.

behind the engine was dirty and dark. I had the prop shaft out to replace it, and took advantage of a little less stuff in the way, and painted it.

I used some sort of Bilge Coat (I don’t remember the brand). I cleaned up the area as best as I could (wire brush, vacuum it out), but I did NOT do a lot of prep. And I only put down 1 coat. In most areas, the paint has held up well. The only exception is where I had some moisture or something on the fiberglass (under the engine).

Time will tell, but so far, I am happy with the cleaner, brighter areas.

In this video, you can see where I painted the bilge behind the engine, and the raw fiberglass under the holding tank. Note how dark and dirty the bilge is around the water strainer...the whole bilge looked like that before I cleaned and painted it.

Greg

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
I have painted a few unfinished areas of my boat, mostly to brighten them up an make it easier to clean. Like in the are behind my engine, where the shaft log and plumbing lines run. And under my holding tank when I had it out for repair. And under my port water tank when I pulled it out.

behind the engine was dirty and dark. I had the prop shaft out to replace it, and took advantage of a little less stuff in the way, and painted it.

I used some sort of Bilge Coat (I don’t remember the brand). I cleaned up the area as best as I could (wire brush, vacuum it out), but I did NOT do a lot of prep. And I only put down 1 coat. In most areas, the paint has held up well. The only exception is where I had some moisture or something on the fiberglass (under the engine).

Time will tell, but so far, I am happy with the cleaner, brighter areas.

In this video, you can see where I painted the bilge behind the engine, and the raw fiberglass under the holding tank. Note how dark and dirty the bilge is around the water strainer...the whole bilge looked like that before I cleaned and painted it.

Greg
I too have used Bilge-Kote to "brighten things up" and make it easier to clean. read the instructions you may need to apply an epoxy primer. The Epoxy Primekote may be adequate for your final finish

Aug 2, 2014
MacGregor 26C Stuart FL
If memory serves... the threshold is screwed. The screws are covered with teak plugs. The side rails for the companion way boards are set on top of the tshhld so they'll have to come off first.
We used some leftover Interlux 2000E for bilge areas. Was still on when we sold the boat.
I wouldn't bother with out of sight areas. Most importantly is the prep and cleaning. Interlux and petit market excellent dewax cleaners some with sanding grit. Check em out.
Catalina direct supplied all my replacement teak.

Best Luck