Pactor/Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Has anyone installled a Pactor modem on their boaat? I was just curious on how it went and how much it was used.

Mar 12, 2008
Getting a Complex!

Boy, I am 0 for two on questions lately. OK, this one was a little geeky, but it would be handy to have e-mail on board. I'm subject to emergency call-in for disasters and cell phones don't always work at some of the places I anchor. Plus the pactor modem also opens up the digital modes like PSK31 communications as well.

Dec 4, 2006
Hunter 34 Havre de Grace
Well Karl, I'm exploring some of this myself.

Do you carry a laptop aboard? I've been looking at some of the software driven stuff.
After a decade or so with my head stuck in my Collins stuff I bought a IC-706 recently.
Planning mostly for mobile use, but some operation from the boat also.

Downloaded a copy of Ham Radio Deluxe to play with. Looks interesting.

If I remember you have an 802 on the boat. It shouldn't be to hard to build up audio and PTT interfaces. At least for some test runs.

Looks like fun. The last I was on TTY was with an ST-3. Using Kleinschmidt, Model 15, and 28ASR machines. And packet.... TNC-1.

Mar 12, 2008
I usually have a laptop with me as work is infringing more and more onto my weekends. I try to leave it off as much as possible when I'm out on the water.

I do have the 802, so there are tranceiver connections for the laptop and the modem. Looked interesting, and I could use the e-mail when away from the dock. I'm lucky as the cellphone doesn't work everywhere. Or at least yet anyway.

I'll have to take a look at the Ham Radio Deluxe!

Dec 4, 2006
Hunter 34 Havre de Grace
Whoops!

Sorry, I speak with forked tongue.
I just ran Ham Radio Deluxe. It does NOT support PACTOR.

However, another program that I've used in the past is MIXW .
I played with it for a while with my PCR-1000 and 651S1 receivers.
And it does support PACTOR, among others.

One of the nice things using this approach is that you don't need the modem. The programs use the computer sound card as the modem.
They can use CTS or RTS (I forget which) for PTT.

As for work taking over your life...... that's why I changed jobs last year.
Still on 24hr call, but not being the Chief Engineer at this station, my scope of responsibility is much smaller. I've had maybe six after hour calls in the last year.

Mar 12, 2008
Thanks for the info Bob.

I'm employed by one of the cities here in Southern California. Great place to work, but as every government, budgets are tight. But I am a lucky dawg to work where I do, and so I don't mind if work encroaches a little. The trick is to make it not too much.

I'm thinking of downloading Winlink/Airmail and see how it goes on setting it up. It'll give me something to do in my spare time.

Mar 12, 2008
I broke down and picked up a Pactor3 usb modem and plugged it in. The Icom M802 really makes it easy with just two cables to connect the modem to the transceiver. I opted for the Bluetooth upgrade, which eliminated the cable between the modem and computer. A little software troubleshooting and I got the modem to communicate with a Winlink RMS station outside of Olympia Washington. Worked amazingly well.

I'm always amazed at what you can learn when doing new things In this case, I even learned what a dongle is!

Status
Not open for further replies.