Packing - Stuffing Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
I have stayed with the traditional stuffing box, for reasons we could debate till the cows come home. :naughty: Anyway, it had a more than average drip last year so yesterday I figured it was time before launching the boat to repack the unit. The PO had taken the locking nut and ran it all the way to the shaft log until it was out of thread and clamped the packing nut all the way also. Anyway, (using that outstanding article from this site on replacing packing) I got into the job. Now what I removed seemed like the old cotton type and there were only two rings of the stuff, and it looked larger than the 3/16" they say our stuffing is. I put the normal three rings in, and there seemed to be to much room still, so taking the advice in the article I added a forth ring. With it all clamped up now, (no drip at rest) it looks like I could have put a fifth ring in place.

Okay, so those of you that have stayed with the stuffing box, how many rings have you installed? I used the 3/6" Gore Packing. When the boat ran to get her in the slip I had a little "black - graphite water" accumulate, so I can see that I am getting lubrication, don't know my drips per min yet in gear. (seemed like I might have over tightened at first because I used up so much adjustment in the nut, but) Just thought I would check in and ask the experts....

It was great to launch yesterday, spent the first half of the day getting a nice coat of wax on the hull, over an hour pulling the mast wires back into the boat through that conduit they installed, bad design, and am in the water. So you say, what is the big deal? Well I am in the middle of WI, and most years at this time we still have snow on the ground, and ice on the bay. :dance:

Oct 31, 2005
Catalina C310 Dana Point, CA
I just did this job a few weeks ago. I'm original owner of a 2003 C310 and at original commissioning had the teflon packing material put in. Worked well for almost 10 years. At this last haul for bottom paint (2nd time since new) I pulled out the old packing and replaced with the GFO Gore-Tex. Started to use 3 rings of 3/16", but seemed "light". Ended up with 2 rings of 1/4", which at first thought wouldn't go in--but it did just fine. Used the blunt end of a nylon toothbrush handle that just happened to be the right size, to press rings into position. It's adjusted loose now for break-in (but still very minimal drip) and will re-adjust after a couple of hours of run time. I don't think I could have fit a third ring of 1/4" in and still had enough threads left to engage the packing nut--2 rings seems just fine. I'm hoping this packing will work as well as others have reported.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
3 rings

used the gore also. could only fit 3 rings in. used the maine sail method.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I believe we have the same engines and 1" shafts, although some later C34s came with 1/4" packing, we use 3/16" I did mine using Maine Sail's excellent tutorial, and bought the Ultra X packing, 3 rings fit very well, no room for any more.

As MS suggests, do NOT over tighten and back off, better to leak a bit and slowly tighten.

Status
Not open for further replies.