Pacific Northwest Sailing Suggestions (US)

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Why not clear in at the first possible opportunity (if you are required to actually stop in person), Blaine, Bellingham, Anacortes?

*** We prefer to cross into the Gulf Islands and head south while hitting some of our favourite spots. That would put us in a position to clear customs at Roche.

One thing that you may not have experienced yet, is that the direction of the flood and ebb currents will be opposite of what you are familiar with once you are south of the San Juans.
Thanks for this tip - I will research this further

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Considering the amount of territory you want to cover in a sail boat, recommend that you leave south sound for another day. Too many factors will affect getting from one anchorage to the next. I suppose if you powered all the way from dawn to dusk it might work, but finding a nice anchorage where you can spend a day or more exploring the island brings more gratification, IMHO. Likewise, a slow sail to the next anchorage ten miles away makes for a better spirit than pushing a thirty or forty mile day under power, exhausted upon arrival.

We all have our preferences, but for us, sail time receives top priority. If it takes spending an hour or two bobbing until we reach an approaching wind line, that is time well spent. Powering is always a choice, but finding that obscure bit of illusive wind to pull us along breaths with satisfaction. But that is just us. Just say'n.
You're speaking the language of my boat partner, who will join me on this trip. I tend to like checking off destinations, even it if means a few long days. He prefers to ghost along at 2 knots if that's what conditions offer and take it as it comes. I suspect you're right, I'll need to moderate my expectations for distance.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Thanks all for a wealth of great info. As stated, I'll be diving into Waggoners and other sources of info but I deeply appreciate first hand advice and the little tidbits that can be easily overlooked. One thing I know already is I'll use the app to clear customs and keep that hassle to a minimum.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
He prefers to ghost along at 2 knots if that's what conditions offer and take it as it comes.
A wise boat partner, he is. Moderating your expectations will pay huge dividends, IMHO. Hiking to the cliff summit at Watmough Bay, which takes about 20. minutes, is well worth the effort. Likewise around Iceberg Point. Hiking to Eagle Cliff summit also well worth the half hour effort at Pelican Beach on the east side of Cypress Island.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
@YVRguy here are a few other things that you probably are aware of when you enter the US and Washington State.
AIS Permit - $24(USD) dealer/online purchase
Ship Station Radio Licence - $36(CDN) Industry Canada online
Cruising License - CBP ($0) - Point of Entry/ROAM App
CBP-1300 (Vessel Entrance or Clearance Statement) - $19 (USD) - Point of Entry
USCG Vessel Safety Inspection Checklist - $0 - Mandatory requirement when boarded by USCG
Ugh... You're saying we need ALL this stuff just to cruise for a few days in US waters? Is anyone really going to fine us for not having a US radio license?

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Is anyone really going to fine us for not having a US radio license?
See Post #19 above Re: Grumpy CBP Agents.
I have a son and family who reside in NJ and friends elsewhere in the US. I have enjoyed cruising in US waters. I want to keep it that way in the future. I once posed a theoretical situation to a CBP agent and his response was “Sir, that would be taking advantage of our hospitality.” Nice way to say ya better not try it.
You're saying we need ALL this stuff just to cruise for a few days in US waters?
Moi!!!
“Do you feel lucky, punk.” Ref: Dirty Harry, Clint Eastwood comes to mind.
The internet is a wonderful thing. Forewarned is forearmed.
My experience is:
It is not a US Radio License but a Canadian Radio Licence. I have had a Radio Licence for 14 years and not once have I been asked to present it in either country. Ditto for the AIS permit. I have been boarded by the USCG for inspection and always satisfied them so I am not sure what the consequence is if you are not adhering to their checklist. I would not even consider trying to subvert the Cruising License or CBP-1300. According to the CBP ROAM website you can apply for it through the App.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
One specific question I have is whether there is a marina or anchorage close enough to Seattle to warrant a night ashore downtown as the ultimate destination.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice you can offer.

There is a way to have a bit of fun and see many neat places in Washington. Here is an adventure for you. Pull into a little town called Port Orchard. The marina there is full service and the rates are good. Shower, Power, pumpout and the works. The downtown part of Port Orchard is a nice little place with good food and some neat shops all within walking distance. Then take the foot ferry over to Bremerton where you can visit the USS Turner Joy, a WWII Destroyer. From Bremerton there is a large ferry that will take you to downtown Seattle where you can visit the piers and the zoo, again more food and shops. A short walk up the hill and you are at the Pike Place Market which is another must visit place in Seattle... Just beware of flying salmon.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Is anyone really going to fine us for not having a US radio license?
Don't believe it's a US radio license. Doesn't CANADA require Canadians to have one to use a VHF? (Don't you already have one?) As a Canadian vessel, you need to comply with Canadian regulations. AFAIK the US does not require American recreational boaters to have a license to use VHF radios. The amount of garbage traffic on #16 here may reflect this.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Don't believe it's a US radio license. Doesn't CANADA require Canadians to have one to use a VHF? (Don't you already have one?) As a Canadian vessel, you need to comply with Canadian regulations. AFAIK the US does not require American recreational boaters to have a license to use VHF radios. The amount of garbage traffic on #16 here may reflect this.
These are my interpretations of the Canadian laws:
FAQ - Transport Canada
- A Radio Operators Certificate - Marine (ROC-M) is required to operate any marine radiotelephones fitted in Canadian vessels.
- A Canadian ship station licence is required only if a Canadian vessel is operated in the territorial waters of another country; otherwise, it is exempt.

I hold both. US vessels require neither by Canadian law.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
The US doesn’t require a license for the VHF radios onboard recreational vessels any more. They used to. Only vessels used for commercial purposes which includes charter service. I believe you only need to register the radio and pay a fee, there is no test like with a HAM license.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I believe you only need to register the radio and pay a fee, there is no test like with a HAM license.
Yes this is correct.

Unlike in Canada, currently.
They learn to correctly use the radio for communication.

Here we encourage the new radio owner to read the manual and follow the instructions included to communicate on the radio.

Is it a wonder you hear on the emergency channel... "Hey Bumper.... You there? We hovering the fish pen. Come in Bumper!"

Then the Coast Guard intones... " Use of channel 16 is for Emergency Communications...."

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Yes this is correct.

Unlike in Canada, currently.
They learn to correctly use the radio for communication.

Here we encourage the new radio owner to read the manual and follow the instructions included to communicate on the radio.

Is it a wonder you hear on the emergency channel... "Hey Bumper.... You there? We hovering the fish pen. Come in Bumper!"

Then the Coast Guard intones... " Use of channel 16 is for Emergency Communications...."
Oh how I know all about that. I have a General HAM license as well as a GMRS license and I know how to properly use the various radio bands. One thing that drives me crazy is the commercial use of the FRS/GMRS radios by construction companies. The GMRS/FRS system is for family (FRS) and general use (GMRS) but not for commercial purposes (there is a dedicated band for commercial use, but it requires a license and the radios are more expensive, but also more capable). I will occasionally pop into the freq and say Hi. If they are kind and polite back I let it be, but if they go off trying to tell me this is “their frequency” or some other bs like that I will troll them. I also will educate them on the rules of the radio system they are using. I don’t bother calling the FCC as they are busy enough as it is trying to do what they do and not trying to chase someone down for buying radios at WalMart and not reading the instructions.

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
Last August, my wife and I took an ASA 104 class departing from Olympia. One of the nights we spent on a mooring ball next to Blake Island, directly across from (west of) Seattle. You'll have to check to verify but I believe that it was free for the night.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Great views and there used to be a fun Native American salmon bake at Tillicum Village. The docks and moorings (20+) are part of the WA state marine park system so $0.70/foot at the dock or $15/night on the ball. An annual permit is available for $5/foot. Great deal if you do much cruising in state waters.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Len, the state should hire you to write their tour info. :plus: