Pacific Northwest Cruise 2020 and 2021

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thank you Terry... Enjoyed the video of your last season and the start of this season. Nice boat tours, friends celebrating. And the beauty of the SE end of Lopez. You could really see all the way to Bellingham Channel... Old Eagle eyes...
Thanks for the shoutout. Fun video.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Spent the Memorial Day weekend on the water. A bit on the cool side, but wonderful weather absent much wind, though. My objective was Pelican Beach where resides a very nice beach and hiking trails. As I'm heading across Bellingham Channel, I notice another sailboat coming from Bellingham pacing me towards the last remaining empty mooring. Well he beats me, but on the way I notice some new moorings that have never been there before. I'm naming this uncharted cove Cypress Cove.

Cypress Cove resides between Pelican Beach and Eagle Harbor with a few small sandy beaches and a pillar of a large rock of an island with a hole in it right in the middle. I notice that one of the four moorings has just been vacated, so I make a bee line for it. Once secured, I notice how quiet and protected it is inside the cove. A bit exposed to a southerly, but very nice and close to shore. I've anchored in here before when all the moorings were occupied in Eagle Harbor and Pelican Beach.

Many years ago Cypress was logged to feed a growing country and in doing so built several logging roads that later became easy going hiking trails. Going ashore you will find a trail head that takes you but a short distance to one of those old logging roads. Hike left takes you to Eagle Harbor, hike right takes you to Pelican Beach. So that is what I did. These trails take you through second growth timber that is upwards of 80 plus years old with a canopy habitat for loads of wild life. Now that is one for the bucket list, eh?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
If you had just a couple days up in the islands where would you spend them anchored/moored?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So many choices, sometimes a lot of boats.

Westcott Bay is nice. Near English Camp, San Juan Island National Historic Park. Sheltered anchorage. Interesting access through Mosquito Passage.

Blind Bay on the north side of Shaw Island unless the wind comes up from the North.

Parks Bay is beautiful, it can draw a crowd no shore access. Sheltered from all but westerlies. Gorgeous sunsets.

Have you looked at a Waggoner’s guide?

• Helpful
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
If you had just a couple days up in the islands where would you spend them anchored/moored?
Much largely depends upon your interests. John mentions some very good choices. If you like going ashore for some hiking, then those in my previous post make a good choice. Parks Bay disallows shore access, so hiking is out, but it is close to Friday Harbor where you can spend a day nosing around an assortment of shops and eating establishments.