P42 Engine removal advice

juznip

Aug 4, 2022
Hunter 42 Nanaimo
Hi, considering removing the 4JH2TE from my 91 passage to give it some love that the constrained engine compartment ( starboard side) wont allow. Any words of wisdom from anyone that has gone down this path before? If I could get the engine out of the compartment and on the salon floor to work on that would be fine.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When I faced a similar challenge 21 months ago, a friend came over and volunteered to help.

1716660897672.jpeg

Since that fateful day :yikes:, I have cut a hole, removed the engine and transmission, rebuilt both, and reinstalled both. I am still working on repairing/replacing the bulkhead and adding some improvements. This is not a challenge to be taken lightly. It is a problem that can be solved with persistence and a little imagination.

All the best of luck.:biggrin:

juznip

Aug 4, 2022
Hunter 42 Nanaimo
When I faced a similar challenge 21 months ago, a friend came over and volunteered to help.

View attachment 224997

Since that fateful day :yikes:, I have cut a hole, removed the engine and transmission, rebuilt both, and reinstalled both. I am still working on repairing/replacing the bulkhead and adding some improvements. This is not a challenge to be taken lightly. It is a problem that can be solved with persistence and a little imagination.

All the best of luck.:biggrin:
Where why did you cut a hole? Did you remove the fridge freezer compressor?

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
I have a CAL35, not a Hunter 42. The bulkhead hid my engine.
You can see the hole we made under the companionway in the bulkhead.
The red strap was attached to the boom to be used to raise the transmission once we had unattached it from the engine.
1716667485766.png

What does your boat and engine look like?

juznip

Aug 4, 2022
Hunter 42 Nanaimo
Here are the pictures. I am guessing the sink and fridge freezer compressor will have to be removed and that should provide just enough space.

Attachments

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Would be nice if you could take a picture that included the companion way.

Assuming the companion way is above the engine, the images suggest if you remove the unit that is above the engine that you might be able to lift the engine high enough to get up and over the sink.

Using an A Frame and a chain lift above the companion way.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Something like this.
1716783243491.jpeg

juznip

Aug 4, 2022
Hunter 42 Nanaimo
Above the engine is another engine (acting as a generator(Yanmar 1GM10). There is a metal frame that supports the generator. So I would have to remove both engines to clear the sink or remove the sink to get enough horizontal clearance, or remove the 4JH2TE in pieces?. Options I suppose. Open to any suggestions. Picture shows the companionway in the background with my nemesis hiding behind the steps.

Attachments

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
The engine access is under the stairs. Looks like there is room through the companyion way to raise and lower the engine. I would see if the engine can be hoisted up using the space and get it over the sink without removeing the sink

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi, considering removing the 4JH2TE from my 91 passage to give it some love that the constrained engine compartment ( starboard side) wont allow.
Never done it with our 1991 P42. Hope I never have to. Why do you need to remove the engine?

It would seem to me that first removing the genset and its platform, that would give you enough room to lift the 4J up and out with the use of an engine puller without removing the sink.

• Helpful