P 303 bilge drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rich Barrett

I bought a 1984 Pearson 303, and it is great. But the main bilge pump drains to the floor of the cockpit, and then through the cockpit scuppers. This doesn't seem like a good design, and some of my friends have said that Pearson would never design it that way. Last winter, I got a lot of water in the cabin following a heavy rain storm, and I am convinced it was backwash from the cockpit into the bilge pump tail line. Does anyone know if this is the original design? Can you tell me where the bilge pump was intended to drain. I believe the standard is for bilge pumps to drain directly through the hull above the water line. Thanks. --Rich Barrett

R

Rich

Thanks a million

Pier Pressure: Thanks for the prompt and useful reply. I will look at my transom when I get back to the boat this weekend. I think there are three thru-hulls. But I didn't see a manual pump in the bilge. Would you reinstall a manual bilge pump and drill a new thru-hull for the electric pump; or is it OK to just use the existing manual pump thru-hull for the electric one? --Rich

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
I think...

you might find the manual pump on the starboard side by the wheel. Crawl into the rear quarter birth and take down the fabric with snaps... you should be able to see that pump... follow down into the bilge. You definately want the manual pump... if power fails.

R

Rich

Thanks again

Thanks again. That rings a bell. I think I recall the previous owner showing me a hand pump station in the propane tank locker on the aft port side of the cockpit. My hull number is in the mid 200s, so it might be a different design from yours. I will chase that down this weekend. As you said, keeping the hand pump is definitely a good idea, in case of a power loss. The original Pearson hand-pump-only design leaves the boat vulnerable when the owner is not around.....which can be weeks or months at a time in my case? I guess that's why the previous owner did me the favor of adding the power pump. All I have to do now is improve the drian design. Thanks again. --Rich

B

Bob

bilge drain

Rich, It might not be a back up that is flooding you out. I have a 1983 with a hard plastic cap that mounts over the rudder post. Twice in 10 years the silicon seal where it joins the cockpit floor has failed (both time in winter) resulting in flooding. You could put a check valve in the discharge line but if so be sure to run nontoxic anti freeze in it before winter. I don't recommend a check valve as it will reduce the capacity of your pump. Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.