P-18 spinnacker

Jan 2, 2019
Catalina 18 WI
Just recently purchased a P-18. Has anyone flown an asymmetrical spinnaker? If so what type of rigging do you use?
Thanks

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sure you can.
With a little ingenuity and a helpful sailmaker I put an asymmetrical spinnaker on my Montgomery 15
First sail 2.jpeg

She loved the sail. So did I. Look at that bow wake on the calm lake morning.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Just recently purchased a P-18. Has anyone flown an asymmetrical spinnaker? If so what type of rigging do you use?
Thanks
You need a halyard that will raise the sail above the forestay. The block should be "swiveling". You also need a tack line to secure the sail's tack (leading corner at the bow) If possible you should set it up so it is adjustable, preferably from the cockpit. The last thing will be a pair of lightweight sheets. On your 18 footer, no larger than 1/4" dacron will do. You do not need anything exotic. An option is to rig a pair of twings or tweakers for the sheets. google it. These inexpensive additions will act like the jib leads and allow you to control the clew position for better sail shape.
You don't need a dousing sock, snuffer, or chute scoop of a small boat like your 18 footer. :A proper spinnaker turtlle bag is what works best. Good luck.