P-18 Hull #1 Back in the Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Precision Owners,
Earlier, I've posted some pictures of the repair/restore process we have performed on our P-18. We have sailed her about half a dozen times during the past few weeks and are enjoying her sailing qualities.
Some of Florida's ramps are shallow, and I was concerned about launching our boat. Attached are some pictures of the trailer modifications that have made launching and retrieving easier. These modifications include guide boards to direct the keel to the center of the trailer. I also added the "starboard" slides to the keel bunk and the side bunks so that adjusting the hull once it is on the trailer is only a matter of pushing the hull or giving it another crank or two.
The other pictures show the renewed interior with carpet replacement, varnish on the woodwork, and the new semi-bulkheads that we ordered from Bill at the Precision factory.
The hatchboard seemed bulky to store below, so Eileen suggested cutting it. I added SS hinges so the board can be folded to store and eliminate searching for two pieces. The vent with screening behind it was added yesterday. The oval "starboard" additions on the forward part of the cockpit are thru-bolted to help secure the new plywood pieces on the interior aft bulkhead. They also effectively cover most of the old holes where items had been attached. The bag on the port side seemed like a good idea for small parts storage, gloves, whistle, etc. The two cup holders on the starboard side were a gift from my friend and, therefore, they had to be installed.
We named her UNO because she is hull #1 and, like the child's game....we might be down to our last one.
Respectfully, Phil

Attachments

Ross S

Oct 20, 2011
Precision 21 Great Sacandaga Lake
Didn't realize you had hull #1...that's awesome! The boat looks great, nice job!

jimmyb

Feb 12, 2010
Precison 165 NA
Nice job, especially on the headliner Phil. What type of carpeting did you use and where did you get it. It seems this would be the toughest job on the boat and from the pics it looks like it came out great. Give a few hints on how you formed it to fit so well.

jimmb

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Ross & jimmyb,
Thanks for your compliments.
RE: the carpet headliner - A local carpet outlet had a roll of headliner carpet that they had bought from a boat dealership. It was very similar to the original material, just a different color. The carpet has no real backer, so it is reasonably easy to make it conform to the shapes inside the hull. First, we cut the carpet to a managable size. When cutting and fitting we switched between a scissors and a utility knife. We changed the knife blade two or three times during the project. Second, we used 3M heavy duty spray adhesive to attach the carpet at the center line. It is a contact cement. Spray both the overhead and the back of the carpet. Its working time is 4 min to 30 min, but it sticks very well upon contact. Third, we attached the carpet by moving from the centerlline out toward the edges of the overhead. Finally, we trimmed the edges of the carpet to fit and installed a wooden strip over the hull/deck joint to cover any imperfections in fit. That strip provided a place to secure the wiring that comes forward to the electric panel and goes forward to the mast and the bow light. This was a two person job. The installation required using three seperate pieces....V berth, main area, arched cabintop support. The entire job took about 4 hours over two days. Ventilation is important because the fumes are a concern.
Respectfully, Phil

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.