P-18 Centerboard too wide for the centerboard channel

Jul 6, 2022
Precision 18 Lake Wisconsin
The centerboard on the P-18 hull #33 I bought sticks inside the centerboard channel when I raise it to full height (or even 2 inches below full height. This boat was trailered all it's life and has NO mussels or other crud on the centerboard of inside the channel. It appears that the channel is either too narrow or the board too fat. Does anyone else have this problem ? Recommended solution ?

May 18, 2022
Precision Precision 18 Geneva
First I’ve heard of this in a P-18. I have a P-18 and a Montgomery 17 the older 17s have the same CB issue (not mine)

The stub keel develops leaks which allow water in and cause the keel to swell. In the 17s case, the swelling is from rusting iron punchings. The P18 has lead but I think it could also swell under the right conditions. If CB opening/CB is clean and CB pendant is installed correctly the stub has probably swelled but you need to lift it and see what’s going on.

For not a 90% retracted keel isn’t the end of the world performance wise.

Aug 22, 2013
hunter 18.5 Candlewood Lake
Moot-18, as I recall the original mast gate was too small to hold in the slugs. I designed a larger one that RigRite - maker of the rig - to fabricate a new one that was about $50. It now works as it should; opening up to accept the slugs and closing to keep them sliding down for reefing. Sorry no pix for now as the boat is covered as I did not use it this season. If you are interested I'll try to take that pix as the mast is used as the main cover support.