P-18 CB Bracket Check/Replace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello P-18 Owners,

My wife and I are in the process of cleaning and repairing a 1985 P-18 that we bought last week. As of today we have all deck hardware removed and have ordered new smoked plastic ports from a local plastics fabricator. Our boat has the large non-opening ports.....1 on each side of the cabin.

My question is this.......Have any of you lifted the boat off the trailer to inspect or replace the CB bracket in the stub keel? If I can do it safely I would like to check that hardware because it is below the waterline.

I'll post pics if possible.

Respectfully, Phil

Attachments

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Sorry,can`t help you with the C/B question, I was wondreing if you had a source of supply for the side window FRAMES. Both of my exterior ones are broken and interior ones are gone, (this boat suffered badly under P.O.). I see you have removed the forward hatch, I replaced mine last fall. The job went well, replacement plastic hatch from Precision turned out to be heavy duty real glass and excellent heavy duty framing, very pleased when it arrived. Good luck with your projects... David

Aug 2, 2005
Hello David,
RE:the side ports.....I remember seeing a posting somewhere that they are no longer available. Perhaps a plastic shop could make a similar product.

We decided to change the design a bit by taking the outside frame to a plastics fabricator here in Florida. He made the side ports out of 3/8 (I think) smoked plexiglas so the look is similar to the original, but the plexiglas overlaps the hull opening like the black trim did originally. We then pushed the flat plexiglas to the hull and marked the appropriate spots to drill it for the through bolts. We used our outside rims to replace the inside rims that were damaged. The cost for the new ports was $175.

The most radical change in my opinion was to follow the fabricator's recommendation to use automotive window tape 1/4 inch wide as a seal. We put one line around outside the holes and one line inside the holes and tightened the through bolts. We also dabbed a bit at the bolt holes to prevent water entering through the drilled holes. We'll see how that works and change it if necessary.

I'll have pictures of our project in a day or two. I also have one frame that might be usable if you have any interest in it.

Respectfully, Phil

Last edited:

Ross S

Oct 20, 2011
Precision 21 Great Sacandaga Lake
How did you make out with checking the centerboard? Someday I'm going to have to do the same thing and it makes me nervous figuring out how to get the boat lifted to do so!

Aug 2, 2005
Hello Ross,
we are still working on the boat on her trailer. Our plan is to put the boat on a friend's lift in a canal and then check the cB and the bracket from below. Of course that means standing in the water under the boat and lift. Not the best position to be in!
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.