Oysters!!

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Every dock I've been on and yacht club I belonged to has one individual who is a non stop talker and knows everything about every subject. I think they are part of a clan that populates the earth.

To set the scene -Last week I was at my favorite seafood restaurant in Seal Beach, Ca (Walt's Wharf) to enjoy their little necks and my all time favorite - oysters on the half shell. Oysters on the half shell are hard to get in Tucson, AZ and very expensive. My butcher orders them for me and I shuck them with a KING KOOKER Oyster Opener (great tool which makes shucking very easy) which I purchased on Amazon but that's another story.

At the bar I noticed a fellow who was dominating the conversation - actually, first I noticed his wife who was a very attractive gal. I finished my little necks and was about to start on my favorite - OYSTERS & A COLD BEER!! The fellow noticed the imprints on my shirt - Catalina 30 and Sail Trim Chart. After lunch I was making a presentation to a charter company. He asked me what they were. Again all I wanted was to do was start eating and enjoying my oysters and cold beer but, to be polite, I told him it was a book on how to trim sails on a sailboat. He then launched into a lengthy explanation of his sailing experience even though I never asked about his experience

Again, all I wanted to do was savor my oysters and cold beer. He then asked me why a person with his experience, which I thought was questionable, would buy my book and chart. When people have to tell you how proficient they are at anything most times they're not. I needed to give a quick response - the ICE WAS MELTING around my oysters. I told him that I wish it wasn't true but sadly 50% of the sailors worldwide (actually the number is much higher) have no idea what ALL the sail trim controls for the main and jib are adjusting - there are only 4 elements. Additionally, this group of sailor does not know which sail trim controls for the main and jib adjusts each element and further they do not know the setting for each control for each point of sail and wind condition. They want to know that stuff but they don't know where to get the info. He said with a snicker that he supposed my material answered those questions. My answer was YES it does!!

He just looked at me and fortunately the bartender, who I've know for years, and who was listening to this conversation rescued me by asking him a question about something else to which he launched into a tangent on that subject.

Then I finally got to enjoy my oysters and cold beer and came back the next day for another batch!!

Hope all you sail trim forum listers have a good Xmas. We deserve it after all we've gone through over the past couple of years.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
yum! Oysters on the shell.. one of my faves!
We are fortunate to have a few places nearby that have oysters on the shell and a wide selection of cold draft beer..
Happy holidays to you Don..

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Hope all you sail trim forum listers have a good Xmas. We deserve it after all we've gone through over the past couple of years.
Thanks Don... Your book will be under my tree this year. I hope to read it while it is snowing heavily outside, keeping those bar patrons in their own homes, annoying their wives. :beer: That and other reasons, should make for better the usual xmas. At least better than the last few. :biggrin:

I wish you the best too...

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Y’all are more polite than me. I wouldn’t stop eating. :) Your book has provided me with nearly twenty years of enjoyment and entertainment being one of the few that I have read in one day.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Y’all are more polite than me. I wouldn’t stop eating. :) Your book has provided me with nearly twenty years of enjoyment and entertainment being one of the few that I have read in one day.
Thank you and that's the way I designed it. Most books on sail trim have the info on a specific sail trim control all over the place. I put each sail trim control in it's own section. Other books talk about sailboat construction etc - i didn't want to know how to build it - i wanted to know how to sail it.

If you were to yellow highlight the important parts the entire book would be YELLOW. Every page is jamb packed with info.

Tsuru

Sep 4, 2019
Oyster 435 Hood River
I enjoy Walt’s also. Dr. Walt B. was my dentist in my youth.
Sorry to hear your meal was impacted.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Well, Ted is still around (84) but apparently suffers from dementia. Looked up his article in Wikipedia which you should probably read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Turner#Sailing He was one hell of a sailor. Everyone remembers the America's Cup defense, but the remarkable comment to me was that he was in THE Fastnet race (1979), and won!