Oxidation Remover - is this stuff worth it? Is it just cutting compound or polish?

Mar 17, 2019
Hunter 450 Passage Chicago, 31st Harbor
I'm curious about Oxidation Remover. If there's something out there to help with Oxidation I'm all for it, but i have a cabinet full of pastes, waxes, compounds and polishes and I'm really not interested in getting another one if there isn't a good reason.

What are your opinions/experiences?

Cheers,
Matt

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Same question came up on this thread recently: (1) Compound after wetsand, or straight to wax/polish? | Sailboat Owners Forums

To remove oxidation you will need to clean, wet sand, compound, wax.

Tips from Tips For A Great Buff & Wax | Sailboat Owners Forums c/o@ Maine Sail:

#1-Clean the hull with an acid base cleaner like FSR, oxalic acid or On & Off to remove rust & tannin staining. (only if necessary)
#2-Wet Sand by hand 600 (if real bad) then move up the grits to P1000+ (only if severely oxidized other wise you can start at #3)
#3-3M Marine Rubbing Compound or Presta Gel Coat Compound (use a wool 3M super buff COMPOUND grade pad like the #05711) (if already fairly shiny start at #4)
#4-3M Finesse It or Presta Ultra Cutting Creme (Use a foam 3M #05725 pad or 3M Yellow Wool # 05713 Note: Yellow wool is far easier and far more forgiving for a novice and will also last a LOT longer than any foam)
#5-(OPTIONAL STEP) Presta Chroma - Use 3M #05725 foam, #05713 wool or Blue Presta wool pad.
#6-Collinite #885 Fleet Wax Paste Version- or 3M Performance Paste Wax. For a polymer coating I like AwlCare or Nu-Finish

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
When I had my Ranger 29 I used Maguire's Oxidation Remover with some success. One of the yard workers came over to ask what I was using. Would a regular compound work as well? I would think so. In the end you have to match the grit with the extent of oxidation. That was before I knew about MaineSail's refinishing treatise. Now if I embarked on a refinish project I would adhere to his technique and yes you're going to spend some money on materials, even if you have the equivalent compounds, for buffing pads etc.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Wet sanding needs to be reserved for the most worst cases. Most oxidation can be dealt with with compounds.