Overturned Car Carrier

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I was helping move a boat down the coast last week and we ran across this in Brunswick Inlet: Evidently the ships crew filled the wrong ballast tank and the ship just rolled over. About 1,600 BMW's went for a swim. Now they are cutting the ship (And cars) in 8 sections to remove it. Coast Guard on the scene. Word was they are cutting thru the metal "With a chain." I don't understand how that is done. Sorry, Sun was on the wrong side for the pic. The other side closed.
tempImagealznqd.jpg
tempImagealznqd.jpg
tempImageIpxyMJ.jpg
tempImagep5hpOh.jpg
tempImagealznqd.jpgtempImageIpxyMJ.jpgtempImagep5hpOh.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
And just last week the broke the chain.

Basically it works like those pocket camp saws. The chain is abrasive and the crane over the boat pulls the chain back and forth slicing the vessel in to sections. The sections are picked up and placed on barges.

GCaptain.com has many articles about the salvage. Here's one.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
@dlochner, Thanks for the explanation. I was imagining a chain surrounding the hull and cutting in one direction. Sawing makes more sense. But at some point the chain has to be in the mud. Maybe that's OK. Word on the dock was that they were "In the engine room" and progress had slowed considerable.
St. Simon Island has a nice marina but like all of the marina's we visited we could not buy water by the case. I don't get it. All the dock stores look at you like a deer in the headlights when you ask to buy a case of water. I were that kid, I'd be selling cases of water if I had to go to Sam's Club myself.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Word on the dock was that they were "In the engine room" and progress had slowed considerable.
I saw that in one article. The engine blocks were probably tougher than they expected. They are big blocks of steel.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It's all a huge undertaking. I wonder about the "Who ya gonna call" thing. Weeks Marine is a player. I think I saw their equipment building the wind mills off the South coast of Block Island. That derrick or crane or whatever you call it is enormous. I guess it was built off site and barged to the site. It's feet may be on barges - I couldn't tell. But they have to move it for each section. The engineering involved is incredible. And it's got to be expensive.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I’ve been following the cleanup/dismantling on you tube. This guy (Minorcan Mullet) does daily reports from the job site, albeit from his boat and a drone. The VB10000 has been used in the gulf to remove abandoned oil/gas platforms. Interesting piece of equipment and engineering feat.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Was a load of Hyundais, not BMWs
Only Hyundais? Well then, so what!
Only kidding. I was only reporting what I was told. The cars were built in SC and supposedly shipped out of Brunswick.
So the the VB10000 is an existing structure which has done other salvages? It's a hugh structure which we could see miles before any official markers.

• Ha
May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
That is how the Soviet submarine KURSK was salvaged
The bow was sawn off underwater.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Well, when we provisioned for the trip from Bruswick to BVi, we literally bought out the local liquor store of Miller Light. Barely had enough to finish the trip. 9 days at sea is a long time! :biggrin:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Every day one of those car carrier ships leaves San Diego harbor from Natl. City... See them all the time in San Pedro also... and I always marvel how totally un seaworthy they appear to be. Like a shoe box.. on its edge... weird.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Human error disasters will become more common as recreational drugs are legalized. Our country is being destroyed before our eyes.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Human error disasters will become more common as recreational drugs are legalized. Our country is being destroyed before our eyes.
Interesting issue. Federal rules for truck drivers, commercial sailors, and related safety functions remain, and will likely always remain, zero tolerance. Any detectable amount. In other words, MJ is not legal for a truck driver, in any amount, in any state, and is not likely to be.

I think "being destroyed" is overly dramatic. I don't smoke, but I have been hit by a drunk driver, and so has my wife, so obviously we should bring back prohibition... except it didn't really work. It's not clear to me yet if these changes have any effect.