Overheating yanmar 3gm30f

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
I recently had to replace the water temperature sending unit. I had broken the connector screw while installing a new water pump pulley while doing a serpentine belt and high output alternator upgrade.. Yesterday after completing the alternator upgrade project, I started the engine for the first time since replacing the sending unit.. After about five minutes the temperature buzzer and warning light activated. I had good raw water flow coming out of the tailpipe. In addition the heat exchanger felt cool. In fact the coolant in the heat exchanger was not even hot. The housing for the thermostat felt hot. The hose leaving the thermostat housing and going into the heat exchanger was also quite warm. The belt was not sliping and the water pump pulley seemed fine, and there were no coolant leaks anywhere. The expansion tank and heat exchanger had plenty of coolant. I know the impression at this point is a faulty sensor however there was a slight difference in the exhaust as if the engine were indeed overheating. In addition the thermostat housing felt quite hot. You could keep your hand on it but it was uncomfortable. And that was with me shutting the engine off almost immediately when the buzzer water temperature sensor warning lamp went off.
How hot should the thermostat housing be as normal operating temperature?
I added additional coolant to the heat exchanger and checked the expansion tank hose. I also started the engine with the cap off and watched to see if it took any coolant or any was circulating. It did not take any coolant from the heat exchanger.
So I think the possibilities include a stuck thermostat, a faulty sending unit, or something clogging the flow of water into the heat exchanger. May be bad bearings in the waterpump.
However, I wonder if another possibility exist. and that is the reason for this post. Can there be trapped air in the coolant system that does not allow the coolant to circulate? (I did not drain the coolant when changing the heat sensor. I simply took the heat sensor out and little coolant drained around it. I replaced the heat sensors sending unit with a new one, using proper threading preparation and carefully torqued.) I don't think so and have not been able to find any reference in my yanmar manual or diesel troubleshooting guide that would indicate that but thought I should ask.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you may need to get a hand held laser thermometer for just things like this... they are about 39 dollars at the napa store and well worth the money ....check the water pump impeller and check the new sensor it could be bad from the factory...also check the raw water pump pulley to see that it is tight on the shaft ..when putting one on the shaft it is best to use and impact wrench to tighten the nut ..as hand tight is not good enough in the long run they can slip when only hand tight the things are just a little too thin...i don't think you can install the belts where they can rotate back wards but check the pump rotation so you know it is turning the same direction as the crank pulley

regards

woody

Oct 2, 2008
you may need to get a hand held laser thermometer for just things like this... they are about 39 dollars at the napa store and well worth the money ....check the water pump impeller and check the new sensor it could be bad from the factory...also check the raw water pump pulley to see that it is tight on the shaft ..when putting one on the shaft it is best to use and impact wrench to tighten the nut ..as hand tight is not good enough in the long run they can slip when only hand tight the things are just a little too thin...i don't think you can install the belts where they can rotate back wards but check the pump rotation so you know it is turning the same direction as the crank pulley

regards

woody
Woody, do you know what the temperature should be at the thermostat housing with the handheld laser thermometer?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Woody, do you know what the temperature should be at the thermostat housing with the handheld laser thermometer?
i think the thermostat is a 185 or 190 so the housing might be 195 or 200fh i think the alarm is set to go off at 220 or 225fh ...this is just a guess on my part as i don't have the specs in front of me if you have water coming out the exhausts it may be OK but some times the impeller on the raw water pump will have one finger broken and still pump water but not enough to do the job but look like it is...if any one has the correct specs please chime in here and correct or confirm .....

regards

woody

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Shop manual says thermostat opens at 160 and closes at 185. Woodster makes a good point about the impeller. Worth checking. We had an overheating problem on a boat I was on recently and found 5 blades out of six broken ! Yet could could still run up to 2000RPM. If you leave the cap open the system cannot pull any coolant from the reserve tank as there is no pressure. Normal running pressure is around 15 PSI. You can check it with a rad pressure tool. If there is a lock caused by an air bubble, let the engine run with the cap opened for 10 or 15 minutes and it will probably bring that bubble up and release it.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
There are two different alarm senders .. the one for sea water cooling turns on at 140F (part number 127610-91340) the one for fresh water cooling which is what you have , turns on at 203F.. (part number 127610-91350) .. Did they sell ya the wrong sender ? Should be a green plastic insert in the top of the switch. The thermostat is a nominal 160F so the housing will feel quite warm to the touch.. As Claude says, you may have an air bubble restricting flow?

Nov 6, 2006
Sender

Here is a shot of the high temp sender.. Note the little green indicator where the wire connects. The wrong one would have a yellow indicator where this one is green.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
i think the thermostat is a 185 or 190 so the housing might be 195 or 200fh i think the alarm is set to go off at 220 or 225fh ...this is just a guess on my part as i don't have the specs in front of me if you have water coming out the exhausts it may be OK but some times the impeller on the raw water pump will have one finger broken and still pump water but not enough to do the job but look like it is...if any one has the correct specs please chime in here and correct or confirm .....

regards

woody
Woody, and guys, what do you make of the alarm sensor going on but the heat exchanger being cool, even the coolant in the heat exchanger was only lukewarm to touch. To me that seems to indicate that the raw water circuit is flowing well and the coolant circuit is not

Oct 2, 2008
Woody, and guys, what do you make of the alarm sensor going on but the heat exchanger being cool, even the coolant in the heat exchanger was only lukewarm to touch. To me that seems to indicate that the raw water circuit is flowing well and the coolant circuit is not
I am on my way back from Home Depot with eight temperature sensor now.

Nov 6, 2006
Note that without a load on the engine, the coolant in the exchanger may remain quite cool compared to what is circulating in the block.. especially if the seawater is quite cool. The thermostat makes the engine circulate its coolant to get to 160 ish and only opens slightly to bleed in some cooler coolant to maintain the engine temp. As the engine loads, the coolant in the exchanger housing will heat up. It is possible that you have a bad thermostat, but I'd look carefully at the part changed before going further. then the air bubble.. Happy Hunting!

Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
lol ive seen this before, check the water pump and get a new thermostat, always keep a spare thermostat regardless if you dont already, this makes me appreciate the simplicity of my raw water yanmar, even if she's loud and old lol.

Oct 2, 2008
Here is a shot of the high temp sender.. Note the little green indicator where the wire connects. The wrong one would have a yellow indicator where this one is green.
I suspect you are right. My temperature sender unit has no green indicator. The old one did. Here is a photo of the one that they sold me. It has neither agree nor yellow but the connector is brass.

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
Note that without a load on the engine, the coolant in the exchanger may remain quite cool compared to what is circulating in the block.. especially if the seawater is quite cool. The thermostat makes the engine circulate its coolant to get to 160 ish and only opens slightly to bleed in some cooler coolant to maintain the engine temp. As the engine loads, the coolant in the exchanger housing will heat up. It is possible that you have a bad thermostat, but I'd look carefully at the part changed before going further. then the air bubble.. Happy Hunting!
You are a genius my friend. The sending unit they sent me comes on beautifully.....
at 145°. IOU a beer!

Nov 6, 2006
Good deal!! Glad to be of help! I haven't been to Brunswick in a few years, but I'll take ya up on that beer if I get there again.

Oct 2, 2008
Good deal!! Glad to be of help! I haven't been to Brunswick in a few years, but I'll take ya up on that beer if I get there again.
I hope not to be here this summer, I would like to make it all the way north to Connecticut by July to meet up with the O day a yacht owners gathering. I used to have an O Day26, rebuilt her with the help of this forum, and would like to meet up with those guys. We did not make it anywhere for the winter sailing season and I think I have about got this Littlebow prepped to ease up the coast both outside and intercoastal waterway.

Nov 6, 2006
Happy sailing ! keep an eye open for Roger Long.. I think he's heading south just a bit north of you .. great guy ..

Oct 2, 2008
Happy sailing ! keep an eye open for Roger Long.. I think he's heading south just a bit north of you .. great guy ..
Will do.
Keith
P.s. Thought you might like to see the block and tackle arrangement I used for tensioning the alternator belt!
Don't you love coming up with stuff like that! Preview shows only one sideways photo, so had to load three separate post see next two

Attachments