Overboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
Now I Know

You would have thought that a forum moderator would have noticed the strangeness and humor of arguing over having one big nut and thin nut? And then getting into a musicale technical discussion thereof?
Ed K
I have noticed that in all forums, people are quick to offer opinions not based on facts, a few offer opinions based on facts, but which are nevertheless not relevent to the question, rarely like all good gems, a nugget of useful information is put forth, such as the boltscience link.

I too was told my nuts were backwards :)

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
This is the explanation:
Very good. If it had come before the boat went in. I probably would have switched the nuts.

Reading between the lines, it doesn't make much difference unless the exact torque sequence is followed. My yard, like many, puts the small nut on top and just tightens everything up. They have never had a failure.

Next time, I'll do it this way.

Always listen to MaineSail, kids.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Thanks Alexco...good article. Now how many people tighten the thin nut to the full torque? According to this you don't fully torque the thin nut and the elastic deformation of the threaded shaft clamps the two nuts together as well as the nuts to the flange of the prop. So MaineSail was right again, ah shucks, I thought we had him this time.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
the why of using two nuts

Thanks Alexco...good article. Now how many people tighten the thin nut to the full torque? According to this you don't fully torque the thin nut and the elastic deformation of the threaded shaft clamps the two nuts together as well as the nuts to the flange of the prop. So Mainsail was right again, ah shucks, I thought we had him this time.
- - - - // -- - - - -

This has been a great discussion.
Hopefully a moderator class
participant (aka heavy weight
participant) will write up a summary
and post it where others who have
not been following discussion can
study it.

then it can be referred to by URL.

And maybe Roger can print out
copy or give his yard the web site
to enlighten and educate, simply
explaining the grief he took from
a picture of his strut...

Amazing what a picture can show.

Ed K

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
So will I ever know if my nuts are tight? :D Someone had to say it.
All U Get

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Well ...if the water is very cold .. you'll be able to feel'em and figure out if they are tight or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.