Outhaul

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
OK;

My boat was the economy model. No 8/1 internal outhaul. The 1/1 was way to weak and a 2/1 not much bettter. So I came up with a 4/1 external outhaul.

Two micro-blocks. Do not be nervous about the light line. Have to remember in this configuration,
the load is shared by 4.

Works well. Had to "extend" the boom a little to give the mechanism room.

Hersh.

Attachments

Jul 3, 2013
Looks like it should work OK - I like the "extended boom" part.

I converted Simple Pleasure's factory internal outhaul as described on the old board by a member called Reverand. He and some other Capri 22 owners had a gathering and did 4 - 5 outhaul mods one afternoon. I still have his description and schematic of what they did lying around her somewhere. The only "problem" I found with their description was that they were calling an 8:1 setup, and it is really a 4:1 ratio as they drew it out.

In any event, my mod is a 4:1 setup, and so far, it has been all I have needed.

If anyone is interested, I can resurrect the old description and schematic and post it here on the "new" board.

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
Mike, I would be interested in that old thread. Thanks

Jul 3, 2013
Older Outhaul Post

Here is a copy of that post, with my observation that it looks like 4:1 to me.

‪Outhaul Upgrade‬
by ‪Reverand » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:00 pm
Last winter, three of us replaced our original outhauls with new blocks and lines. We modeled the upgrade on a successful conversion pioneered by Madcap, hull #5. The attached diagram by Jamie depicts the new schematic.

For hardware, we used the following:

Qty Description Item # Size
1 Harken 29mm Carbo Block - 90° Loop Single H352
1 Harken 40mm Carbo Fiddle H2655
8 Amsteel 12 - Red SMS12 1/8"
24 Amsteel 12 - Red SMS12 3/16"
2 Heavy-Duty SS Thimbles LSEY185 3/16"

The part numbers are those out of the APS catalog (‪http://www.apsltd.com) You can substitute 3/16” line for the 1/8”. This will make the splicing easier. When finished with the assembly, don’t worry about the extra line, easier to flub a couple splices, cut off and try again, than run short.

The hardest part is replacing the Boom Pin. For this little operation, I took two ¼” dowels, wrapping a rubber band about 12” from the end. Using the dowels like chopsticks, I was able firmly hold the Harken 29mm 90 degree block (with splice). We then placed the boom on its side between two sawhorses. Shining a light from below, you can then gently slide the chopsticks into the boom, line up the hole with the block, and drop in the Boom Pin. The chopsticks will then easily slide off the Harken block.

Including disassembly, splice time, and re-assembly, we averaged about an hour per boom for the upgrade at our little Boom Party.

Dean Drevlow
White Lightning #110
1985 FKSR

Attachments

Jul 3, 2013
I had trouble loading the sketch that went with the post. Here's another try.

The only "special" part is the Harken 29MM block that has the head turned 90 degrees from most common blocks. That 90 degree shift helps thing to line up correctly.

Attachments

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
Ahoy Hershey
That's some outhaul: I bet you can crank it down with a full sail. Me and my mk II have stock outhaul w/one internal pulley, w/o much mechanical advantage.
So I loosen the main sheet making easy playing with this effective sail control. Ten knots, 135 jib and no outhaul on a close reach get me hull speed, past 12 and I'm playing w/outhaul.
Wooster, seaman second class, busted from ensign caught sleeping w/captain's wife

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I managed to get my outhaul stuck in the out position while we were in the San Juans. I was having problems getting the first reef to stay put and thought I'd use the outhaul. Doesn't reach. :shock: :? :eek: :twisted:

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
Blistering Barnacals Chris,
San Juan sailing's hard on gear, thru hull, windex, outhaul and all . They say "Cruising's working on your boat in another harbor" but I bet the adventure's huge.
I know nothing about thru hull and windex but outhaul I adjust frequently, changing the sail's shape to suit conditions.
OP's set up (Hey Hershey) looks accessible, no "trips" in front of the traveler.
Wooster sailing salem sound

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Wooster,

I figure we did a season's worth of damage in the week of sailing we got in up there. Probably no more than we'd have had if the lake had been full enough to launch this summer. :roll:

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Hershey said:
None of us have "ranks" anymore. I assume we all got HONORABLE discharges from Capri Navy :)

Hershey
Glad I made it to "officer" before the discharge.
At least we can still swap stories.

Of course, you do know the difference between a fairy tale and a sea story?

A fairy tale begins with "Once upon a time..."
A sea story begins with "This ain't no lie..." - (or words to that effect)

Bear with me. I just spent the weekend in the California deserts away from my "Ophelia".
The tide was quite low at Badwater, Death Valley. 283 feet below sea level. Several roads were washed out due to a 1/2" rainfall.