Outhaul

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
The outhaul broke this weekend on our Beneteau 343. It is inside the boom. The block broke. From what I can tell the block is a single eye block with a becket Does anyone know how the lines are run in the boom and do I have to take the boom off to fix it?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
10F61B03-3733-4B59-BFE0-E7934F59566C.jpeg
The part of the outhaul that attaches to the clew is attached to the tang on the block inside the boom. The outhaul adjusting line is attached to the becket on the opposite end of the internal block It is led around a sheave on the forward end of the boom, back around the sheave in the internal block, then forward around a second sheave on the boom then to the cleat on the boom .
Yes you probably will need to take the boom down unless you can figure out a way to use the broken line to pull in a new one.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Yea, normally you have to take the boom off, as well as the the mast-side boom fitting to get at the strap that fixes the block(s) to the boom. the ratio can be different, but it usually looks like this.
inside_boom_outhaul.jpg

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Do you have to take the end cap off to get inside or do you have a little opening on the side? I always thought that would be a difficult repair while at sea. I would just reef and get to a quiet spot to do the work.

All U Get

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Jackdaw it looks like the 36.7 boom is understandably rigged differently than my 323.
Gives you more purchase.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
The other option is to run the lines outside of the boom. The endcap on my 40 year old boom will not come off, and if I had to re-run it, it would be on the outside of the boom. Grab a Harken catalog, they have a few diagrams of how to run it

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
I believe it is set up like the drawing that Jackdaw posted. The pin broke at where the #3 line attaches to the block and the block and the # 2 line came out the end of the boom. There is a small inspection plate on both sides of the boom. I’m going to try in open them up to see if I can see the other block. It happened just before the start of a race we were in so we reefed the main and raced. We came across the finish line second but with handicap we finished seventh. This was the first time we raced on our boat. It was all racer/cruisers and there was two cats.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Unfortunately, I was able to watch that race from the back of the pack. Had a friend who had never sailed before as only crew. Bad position at the start, a couple of tactical errors and, well, the rest is history. Last year sailed this race solo. Only three boats in front of me...one was a cat... so doesn't count. Beat a Bene 381 over the line but I had taken a mark on the wrong side so no points for me. :sosad: This year that same Bene came in second to last, just ahead of me so I count that as a victory of sorts. Gotta find the positives where you can. Good fun, overall. :) Can't wait for the Spring regatta.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
We came across the finish line second but with handicap we finished seventh.
Southpaw, the times were corrected. The last spreadsheet shows you coming in 4th on corrected time. Way to go!

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
Hey Roland could you email me that? If I had the full main sail I might have gotten second but I was happy we beat that big cat even if it was in a different class. At least this happened before we left to go down to the Caribbean. Here I have the tools to fix down there I would have to pay somebody to do it.

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
Ok so today I went down to the boat an took the end off of the boom to discover that there are no other blocks inside the boom and I can not see any place where another block would have been attached. The way that someone ran the outhaul was a short piece of line from the sail to the block and the another line from the block to the front of the boom. So the block did nothing but create a weak link. Can I just run a new line without any blocks?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My B323 has a block in the boom. I pulled either the aft line or the adjustment line to pull the bock one way or the other. I did that to change the line in the boom to different turning block locations. For the life of me I can not recall how the lazy end of which sheet went where. It is NOT like the picture Doug posted. Hhmmm... or IS it???