Outhaul to cockpit

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Has anyone brought the outhaul to the cockpit? Any pics and part list would be appreciated.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Has anyone brought the outhaul to the cockpit? Any pics and part list would be appreciated.
My rigger and I have discussed that, as well as rigging a Cunningham led to the cockpit. Getting them there is pretty easy, can use the turning blocks for the reefs(since you normally use one or the other), but securing them is more difficult.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I don't understand, the outhaul line sits cleated at the end of the boom and can be usually reached from the cockpit standing on the seats. Some are run internally in and out through the boom to a small cleat at the front of the boom.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I don't understand, the outhaul line sits cleated at the end of the boom and can be usually reached from the cockpit standing on the seats. Some are run internally in and out through the boom to a small cleat at the front of the boom.
Not so easy to adjust in a big breeze...

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I don't have any photo but will be going to the boat next week.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I'd really appreciate photos too.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I want to get rid of the wire to rope splice on the outhaul. I'm thinking about using New England Ropes STS-WR2. I just used it for lifelines and I'm very impressed with it.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I have a in-mast main. All cockpit line except the main are 3/8.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I increased my outhaul to 12:1 and really like having plenty of power to tension the loose footed main. The problem that I see with running it to the cockpit is that when tightening the foot, it is 12:1 which means that for loosening it the system is a 1:12 purchase. I find that to get the depth that I want for light air, I need to go to the boom and pull the foot of the sail forward because there is not enough tension to overcome the friction on the clew slug.
This sail control is not one that you adjust all of the time so it is not a problem to go forward.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I could see it being less useful but our lake conditions change a lot. I found having it easy to adjust on my O'Day 25 was helpful.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If the outhaul line runs to the end of the boom it will be inaccessible in most downwind sailing. If the outhaul is run to the forward boom it is accessible on all points of sail. I'm not sure it matters so much since downwind adjustments are not so critical as upwind adjustments. If you have crew, as in racing, and they are properly placed on the rail they can fairly easily access the forward boom outhaul position.
Hayden: 12:1 purchase? Wow that's a lot. Harken used to make a product, a Magic Box, which had purchase something like that. I had it on my Mark 25 until a friend and boatyard manager told me to lose it. "Way too much friction."

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Yes. I did it. Mainly becuase I wanted to run it through a clutch and to a cabin top winch. No problems

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Hayden: 12:1 purchase? Wow that's a lot. Harken used to make a product, a Magic Box, which had purchase something like that. I had it on my Mark 25 until a friend and boatyard manager told me to lose it. "Way too much friction."
I did mine by rebuilding the factory internal 3:1 with ball bearing blocks and then an internal cascade which doubled that to 6:1. That was much better but I still needed to pull pretty hard to get the foot flat in a blow. I then put a block on the mains clew and ran the 6:1 outhaul through that and dead-ended it at the end of the boom for 12:1. Now it doesn't take much effort to flatten the main but I will probably know when it is time to replace the main when I tear the foot in two. :laugh:

May 16, 2021
Oday 25 Lake George
Does the outhaul line need to run through a pulley directly below the boom, or is slightly to either side okay? I imagine in the latter case, tacking to one side would shorten the outhaul slightly and to the other side would lengthen it slightly. Not sure that is enough to matter