Outhaul tension

Oct 10, 2020
Hunter 34 Sunrise Shore Marina
The kenyon boom on our Hunter 34 has the outhaul led forward through the boom, turns on a sheave and is tightened manually and cleated on the boom. I am wondering what others use to tighten the outhaul? Has anyone installed a winch and clutch on the boom, or perhaps led the line back to the companionway, to a winch at this location?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Do you think you need a winch to tighten the outhaul? My Hunter outhaul line runs to the mast, down and to a clutch on the cabin top. I've never needed mechanical assistance to tighten it. For as often as you need it, your setup sounds fine. Just my $.02

Oct 10, 2020
I do think I need some kind of mechanical advantage to tighten it, as the cleat is only about 2 feet aft of the sheave on the boom, so it is difficult to get much of a pull on it. Add to this that the foot has slugs along the entire length, I am not able to get much tension on it at all. On my previous boat, a C&C 30 with a similar foot, it had a small winch on the boom to tighten the outhaul.

• Helpful
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The usual way to add purchase for an outhaul is a block in the boom. I would like a small winch on the boom, for the outhaul and especially for reefing lines, but you have to consider what that would feel like if it hit you on the head. If the line is run forward to the mast and back to the cabin top to a stopper and winch access, you may need the winch from all the friction created by the run.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
You are missing some blocks inside your boom to yield, say, 3:1 purchase.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You should not need a winch to adjust the outhaul.
  • You need to clean and lube the slugs if you have a track system. I prefer using McLube's SailKote, after I have cleaned the track and the slugs of dirt.
  • ease the pressure on the sail so you can make the adjustment, then trim the sail.
  • consider loose footing the sail taking the slugs out of the track and or removing the slugs all together. This may require recutting the foot.
  • check the boom that the internal rigging and all sheaves are free to move and that the lines are fair.

• Helpful
Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I am in the process of running a new outhaul on our Oceanis 34. My current setup sounds similar to yours. I will run it through a turning block at the base of the mast to a new stopper next to my spinnaker halyard and a cabin top winch.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Loose footed or footed main?

In mast furling?

I could see needing a route to a winch if the main is loose footed or in mast furling, easing the outhaul on a deep reach and then turning into the wind the sail foot would need to be retightened and unless you go all the way nose to wind. Definitely use the outhaul on a winch on our H41 all the time.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Loose footed or footed main?

In mast furling?

I could see needing a route to a winch if the main is loose footed or in mast furling, easing the outhaul on a deep reach and then turning into the wind the sail foot would need to be retightened and unless you go all the way nose to wind. Definitely use the outhaul on a winch on our H41 all the time.
"Add to this that the foot has slugs along the entire length "
Mine is bolt rope. I imagine slugs are easier to adjust. I'd bet a loose footed main is tougher unless you take the power off

Oct 22, 2014
Granted the H41has 443 sqft of mainsail area and a 18.25 foot boom, compared to my 35 ft boat with a 14.4ft boom and 252 sqft of mainsail but fellas, with a 2 to 1 system in the boom and the sail depowered, even this old man can tighten or loosen the outhaul on the fly. Ease the mainsheet to ease the pressure on the sail, make the adjustment and then trim the mainsheet. If you are racing you can do it solo or with crew all manual. You won't be tearing the sail at the clue or tack. The key is to have the blocks or sheaves fully functioning.

@ScottFreeRick has a Hunter 34 with an 11.75ft boom and only 240sqft of Mainsail.
@Justin_NSA has a Hunter 30T with a 12.5 boom and 253sqft of Mainsail

I can see if your on a 50 or 60ft boat with a 1000 or 1500 sqft of sail you might need some extra power with a winch.

It is your boat and your choice.

• Helpful
Oct 10, 2020
Thanks for the replies. I will have to check the boom, to see if there are blocks on the outhaul. Then correct any problems and make sure it is functioning properly. Great writeup on replacing the internal outhaul.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
The boom on our 41DS (E=19'-6") main sail area of 470 or so sqft, custom built mainsail. The boom is longer when the boat has in mast furling, yes the main can be flattened when you take the pressure of it, but its just as easy to put the outhaul on the starboard winch, then there is no need to sheet out or change course.

Oct 22, 2014
You have a bigger boat... Custom is always special.
I was thinking about the OP and the 30plus footers. That much power can be an issue for the sail unless careful.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The C30 comes with an internal multiple purchase system but when mine fouled I went with an external system. I installed a triple block and double block between the clew and boom end sheave. Then ran the line through the boom to the mast end and out of the boom. The triple block with double block gave me a 6-1 purchase.
I also ran the line aft to the cockpit. Between where it exits the boom and turns towards to the cockpit I installed a double block and single block to give me an additional 3-1 purchase for a total of 9-1. Plenty of purchase for flattening the sail in stiff winds.

Maybe you can do something like to make it easier to work the outhaul. BTW, Credit goes to @Hayden Watson. He gave me the idea on how to set up my outhaul.
IMG_3724.jpeg

IMG_3725.jpeg