Outhaul Setup Oceanis 311

Mar 28, 2024
Beneteau Oceanis 311 Santa Margarida
Hi all. The outhal configuration on my boat I think is wrong; it comes with a simple line attached to the end of the mast.

I have searched this forum and there is a post on this topic but the images no longer load and with the text alone I can't fully understand how it should go.

If there are any charitable Beneteau 311 owners out there who could post a photo of their boom/outhaul I'd like to compare with mine. Much appreciated!!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Conventional main or furling?

With a furling main the standard is for the outhaul to come out of the boom at a sheave, through a block on a car on the boom, then around a block sewn into the end of sail, and back to a padeye or shackle on the car on the boom.

With a conventional main the outhaul usually comes out the boom at an sheave and just gets tied with a bowline or similar to the end of the sail. The other end of the line runs through the boom forward eventually to somewhere where it gets trimmed. I don’t know if that’s the case with the 311 but it wouldn’t surprise me to see it done that way.

Mar 28, 2024
Conventional main or furling?

With a furling main the standard is for the outhaul to come out of the boom at a sheave, through a block on a car on the boom, then around a block sewn into the end of sail, and back to a padeye or shackle on the car on the boom.

With a conventional main the outhaul usually comes out the boom at an sheave and just gets tied with a bowline or similar to the end of the sail. The other end of the line runs through the boom forward eventually to somewhere where it gets trimmed. I don’t know if that’s the case with the 311 but it wouldn’t surprise me to see it done that way.
Hi Davidsailor, thank's for your answer. Is a conventional main. The end wich I dont know where must go is the one that you say must run through the boom... I found it not going through the boom; just attached to the end of the boom where usually go the toping lift line

That's why I'm asking if somebody can take some photos of the setup to fully understand it

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I found it not going through the boom; just attached to the end of the boom where usually go the toping lift line
Ah, yeah that’s not right. If you can’t find a 311 owner to provide an example check the front of the boom for an empty sheave where a line could route to, and for any empty blocks at the mast base or clutches that could hold it.

Mar 28, 2024
The owners manual shows the outhaul attached to the boom...
View attachment 223949
First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to try to help me with this and sharing the diagrams in the user manual. Checking the manual was the first thing I did to see if I could find the solution to my question. Unfortunately I can't see a solution to my question.

You say that the manual indicates that the outhaul is attached to the boom, but I can't see that? I simply see that in the configuration with only 5 stoppers (i.e. without any of the options) there is no reference to how to attach the outhaul.

Assuming it is attached to the boom, where is it supposed to be attached? Or how?

Best regards!

Jun 17, 2022
Hunter 380 Comox BC
It says "outhaul made off on boom", meaning cleated in the boom. Only your reef 1 and 2 would be routed to the deck organizer. Can you provide any photos of your boom?

Here's our old oceanis 31, there was a cleat on the starboard side of the boom for the outhaul.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
On my conventional rig, the there is a large aluminum cam at the forward end of the boom to grip the outhaul. The outhaul as originally installed had only enough length to make adjustments at the mast, then either secure the line on a cleat at the mast or tuck it into the sail bag. The aft end was secured with a bowline as @Davidasailor26 mentions.

One of my projects was to lengthen the outhaul, and to bring both the outhaul and the topping lift back to the cockpit. During that project, I found that the outhaul actually looped around sheave and a small block inside the boom and returned to the mast (I still worry about whether my knot will hold).

IMG_0765.jpeg

IMG_3103.jpeg

IMG_2750.jpeg

IMG_0073.jpeg

• Helpful