Outhaul replacement line

Nov 2, 2016
Hunter 27 2 Rock hall MD
Looking for some guidance on replacing my worn outhaul line on our 1978 H27 with the in-boom double purchase. Do I really need to break the boom open to run a new line? Any help would be appreciated and feel free to PM me. Thank you!

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Not sure I understand "Break the Boom Open". You can run a messenger line attached to the existing out haul without removing the boom. Then attach the replacement line to the messenger and string it into position

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2016
Hunter 27 2 Rock hall MD
Thank you ggrizzard. I was hoping that was that was the case. But I couldn’t figure out where it attaches to the purchase system since it’s in the boom. I’m sorry the post was lacking enough information, I’m new to a lot of the terms.

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Now I'm confused. You should be able to get to both ends of the line, right? If so, attach the messenger line to either end (though you may want to decide based on the way the line feeds into the boom). Attach the messenger by sewing the two together with some twine. Then sew the replacement line to the other end of the messenger. Pull it all through, and viola! Use messenger that is similar diameter to the outhaul - thinner stuff could get caught outside a sheave and jam.

Nov 2, 2016
Hunter 27 2 Rock hall MD
This may mean there are two lines, yes?
Again, I may have my terminology confused but it’s one continuous line, running through two sets of blocks at both ends of the boom internally. When I take the end cap off I can gain access to one set of the blocks but I can’t tell where the line attaches to the purchase system.

Nov 2, 2016
Hunter 27 2 Rock hall MD
Jon, have you 'lost' one end of the out haul?
No the old outhaul is intact, I’ve not taken it out. As I understand you, I can connect the new line to the old one, just as I would replacing a halyard (sew and tape) and pull it through?

Nov 2, 2016
Hunter 27 2 Rock hall MD
Now I'm confused. You should be able to get to both ends of the line, right? If so, attach the messenger line to either end (though you may want to decide based on the way the line feeds into the boom). Attach the messenger by sewing the two together with some twine. Then sew the replacement line to the other end of the messenger. Pull it all through, and viola! Use messenger that is similar diameter to the outhaul - thinner stuff could get caught outside a sheave and jam.
I’ll attempt to do that then. I may be over complicating the process. At first glance, my clew attaches to the outhaul eye, which is attached by cable to the purchase system internally. I only seem to have access to one end of my out haul line, not both but perhaps I missed the other end hanging outside of the boom on a lance cleat somewhere. Again, I’m kinda new.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Again, I may have my terminology confused but it’s one continuous line, running through two sets of blocks at both ends of the boom internally. When I take the end cap off I can gain access to one set of the blocks but I can’t tell where the line attaches to the purchase system.
Yah, I was thinking more along the lines of an in-boom shuttle block system.

I took a shot. :doh:

May 27, 2004
OK Jon, I'm brain dead today. You are exactly right. The wire coming out of the boom end does connect to the line running through the sheaves. And it looks like the pic. Can't seem to find a bigger version of it. Hope you can enlarge. The bolt on the left goes through the boom. The wire to the right goes to the sail. The line (rope) to the left is your adjustment line that exits at the front end of the boom. So, you will have to remove the boom and remove at least one end and the bolt to re-rig the assembly.
G.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2016
Hunter 27 2 Rock hall MD
OK Jon, I'm brain dead today. You are exactly right. The wire coming out of the boom end does connect to the line running through the sheaves. And it looks like the pic. Can't seem to find a bigger version of it. Hope you can enlarge. The bolt on the left goes through the boom. The wire to the right goes to the sail. The line (rope) to the left is your adjustment line that exits at the front end of the boom. So, you will have to remove the boom and remove at least one end and the bolt to re-rig the assembly.
G.
Yes! That’s it! Thank you, thank you. I was scratching my head on how to access it. I had the end cap off but couldn’t see an attachment point for the line so it must be at the mast end. Perfect!

May 27, 2004
Keep reading. I added more pics. Oh, and for continuity, turn the assembly pic on the left to reverse image. That will match the goose neck pic.

Nov 2, 2016
Hunter 27 2 Rock hall MD
Keep reading. I added more pics.
Yep! Exactly what mine looks like. I almost had the boom off at the mast end last week but second guessed myself and thought I should ask someone with experience first. This has been really helpful and affirming of how I thought it could work. Thank you again, mystery solved!

May 27, 2004
Great. Glad to help. I was in the same spot a couple of years ago.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Although I don't have it set up on mine, I thought the shuttle block inside the boom was for single-line reefing, not the outhaul. Taking the boom apart will make it easier to figure it all out, which is one reason I haven't yet.
@pateco Thanks for the suggestion to use the borescope, I've got one and will take a look.

Nov 2, 2016
Hunter 27 2 Rock hall MD
Although I don't have it set up on mine, I thought the shuttle block inside the boom was for single-line reefing, not the outhaul. Taking the boom apart will make it easier to figure it all out, which is one reason I haven't yet.
@pateco Thanks for the suggestion to use the borescope, I've got one and will take a look.
You’re right, I’ve heard of the system being used for reefing but this is just how mine came to me. My slip neighbor recommended using it for reefing as well.