Outhaul cable 332

Dec 28, 2015
O'DAY 322 Bridgeport CT
I tried to replace my outhaul today. Got the cable stuck inside the boom, now cannot pull it out either end. Suspect hung up at wire to rope splice. Anybody else solved this issue?

Jaxn

May 17, 2021
O'Day 272 Percy Priest
I had a long comedy of errors with that on my 272.

after getting it stuck in the boom, I proceeded to get half of a fiberglass fish tape lost in there too. I spent way too long trying everything I could think of that didn't involve taking the mainsail off the boom and removing the boom from the mast.

Finally, at 9pm I decided I had to take the boom off. I was in the car on my way home at 9:30 .

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
On most booms, you can remove the gooseneck (the thingy that hold the boom to the mast) and the fitting on the end of the boom (stern end ). Then plugs will heave either screws or rivets holding the end plugs in place. If screws use good marine practice to reinstall.

With the ends open you can use a strong flashlight beam to look inside the boom and see where the hangup is. Most likely it is one of the attachments or screws (too long) extending into the boom that is stopping you from installing the out haul.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The outhaul on my 1988 O’Day 322 is rope all the way.
I think the boom end caps are riveted on, so, you could drill out the rivets and pull the caps off.

Greg

Feb 22, 2010
Oday 322 Delaware River
Through carelessness, I lost the end of the outhaul into the boom last season. I tried to recapture it, with various tools, including electricians fishing wire, coat hanger, etc. Hopeless.

In the end I just lashed the main outhaul manually for the season (horror of horrors for you racers out there :) .
I have concluded I am not going to get it fished out without taking the boom off, and drilling the rivets out the end end fitting. Then it should be easy to see in, and get it fixed. I believe as Greg says it is all rope.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
What if you taped the boom end of the outhaul to one of the reefing lines, then pulled the reefing line out the other end of the boom?

You could pull the outhaul out of the boom, so you could tape the end to the reefing line (hopefully avoid snagging it that way). Then pull it through with one of the reefing lines.

Just a thought (assuming it is straight through the boom).

Greg

Dec 28, 2015
O'DAY 322 Bridgeport CT
I finally did snake a tracer line through the boom and ran a new outhaul to the cockpit. Old cable is still in the boom. Did not open the boom,..yet. New outhaul and loose footed main ready to try.