Outboards

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Hey Chief. The ratio is 40:1 and I always add Marine Stabl to a fresh tank right away. I'm using the remaining 1/2 tank from last season, combined with a somewhat dirty carb, which makes for a somewhat noticeable smell at the start. I haven't fogged the carb yet this year. Also, I refer to all boat motors as stink pots, but that's just the amateur-die-hard sailor in me. ;)

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Just trying to help. I would run it at 50 to 1 with the newer oils. It will run cleaner plus it sounds like a nice motor. Stabl use is good but run that old gas in your truck and get some fresh stuff. Have fun! Chief

May 19, 2014
I bought an '07 Tahoe to pull my boat. Is that oiled gas from last year going to mess up some fancy computer setting in my truck? Im not really all that saavy when it comes to truck mechanicals. Does seem like fresh stuff in the outboard would do it some good. Plus 50:1 is the same cocktail my snowblower drinks. Would mean one less fuel jug in my garage.

Nov 26, 2012
DM: It won't hurt your truck. When mixed with the other gas it works fine. Since our gas no longer has lead a little top end lube is probably good for it.
For the 6hp put some carb additive in the gas and rev up and spray in some carb cleaner too. Pop the float bowl drain screw and get that old gas and any sludge out as well. I owned a 4 hp Evinrude Yacht Twin and those are good strong running motors. Wish I still had mine. Chief

Nov 26, 2012
Time Out: That little Gamefisher would make a nice dinghy motor as well. A 6hp Tohatsu would be a great motor for your boat. Chief

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
Drinkmilk, I would dispose of that fuel properly, we are only talking a few gallons anyway but I would not run it in my vehicle Mechanic for 37 years. But if its only a year old not a big deal in your outboard as it does not have valves like a 4 stroke motor. Add fresh and go on.

Nov 26, 2012
Piedpiper: The valve guides are exactly what benefits from burning 2 stroke oil. I guess you havn't read the published mechanics advice to always run a few ounces of 2 stroke oil with each fill up for your cars. Old gas is NOT a good idea to run in a 2 stroke.

Chief, Ind. Eng. (small eng. cert.)

PS: If you dump 2 gallons of 40 to 1 mixed gas into 10 gal of gas you will have 1/2 ounce of oil to the gallon. Thats 256 to 1 oil ratio. I do not think that will present any problem!

Jul 15, 2015
Catalina 22 Raleigh NC
I have run 50:1 in my 4 stroke lawnmowers for years and they seem to still be running great! Not because I really should but I misplaced one of my gas canisters I use for the non-mix and just fill it with 50:1 as my leafblower and weedeater use. Granted I only have 1/8acre of grass to mow so it doesn't really run that long.

May 19, 2014
Looks like I have some options, precisely the reason why I joined this board. Thanks guys. Also, thanks TO, whose OP made this mini-hijacking possible. ;)

Btw, the only race my '86 new design is ever in is against both the sunset and the limit of my family's patience while taking down the mast. Just read Don's article on the new designs in the latest Mainbrace. Nice work Don.

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
chief, its not the oil its the old gas that does harm. I wasn't throwing a dig at you

Nov 26, 2012
piedpiper: its not the gas either. Would you like another ratio submittal and octane loss on that concept? Give it up! This is a one time run on using old gas! IT WILL NOT HURT AN ENGINE! He will run it once, not the whole season! I have done this for years! All due respect but being a Mechanic does not automatically make you an expert in your field.
I am not worried about digs at me, I can take care of myself just fine. I am much more educated and experienced than most mechanics. Sorry 'bout that! Chief

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I'll second the Chiefs opinion on 2 stroke gas in automobiles. I routinely don't get my bass boat out enough during the year and have put as much as 5 gallons of old 50:1 gas treated with Stabil and Seafoam into my '97 F-150. I immediately top off the trucks tank with fresh gas and have never had any fuel related problems whatsoever with the truck and it had 270k miles when I got rid of it.

Nov 26, 2012
Slim: My friend bought an old power boat with built in gas tank. He discovered probably 20+ gallons and was lamenting to me about hassle, cost of disposal. Of course I suggested he run it in his truck a few gallons at a time with each fill up. He was delighted with the fuel cost savings and easy disposal of the old gas! As we know, the truck never missed a beat. Chief

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
Drinkmilk, I would dispose of that fuel properly, we are only talking a few gallons anyway but I would not run it in my vehicle Mechanic for 37 years. But if its only a year old not a big deal in your outboard as it does not have valves like a 4 stroke motor. Add fresh and go on.
FWIW
Have been 'properly disposing' old fuel by running thru my pickup for years. I never add more than five gallons of old fuel to a nearly full pickup tank.
A while back I dumped some aircraft fuel contaminated w/water into my pickup ('09 2500 HD) and had to add a quart of alcohol to smooth out the engine. LOL.
Just dumped four gallons of last years 50:1 boat fuel in pickup and it is running fine. I will continue this practice since I have no idea of where to take fuel to have it properly disposed.

Nov 26, 2012
Yep, alcohol will pick up the water and mix with gas. Big gas motor will burn that stuff right through it!
If you have a car not passing smog, just add a quart of rubbing alcohol (30% water) to it and run it about 10 miles at good freeway speed. Roll her into the smog tester and it should pass! Chief